Chapter 14 - Black Bones

Dedicated to Annany for having a face that I like. Also for drawing that adorable chibi Lycin glomping chibi Sianna you'll see in the bottom.

14.

Black Bones

Sianna woke up to Miriam's screams. The sound of glass breaking and silver clattering on the floor followed. Sianna sat up to see the serving girl run out of the room. Though her yells vanished, they had done their harm. Sianna's head felt like a smith's anvil. She blinked. The room was dim, but the promise of sunlight peeked from behind the drawn curtains.

"Too bright," she groaned as she got out of bed.

She made her way to the privy but before she reached it, something caught her eye. There was a pile of charred human bones by one of the marble tables. The skull was broken in two, giving her half a grin. As if summoned, flashes from last night's battle penetrated her head, each image increasing the pounding of it. She remembered Kota's words about Iari, the dark gleam of Reth's sword under her throat as she transformed into Sianna herself.

So it hadn't been a drunken hallucination. She grimaced, recalling something else. I even tried to seduce Reth. No more drinking.

Sianna slipped out of her sleeping garment to find her leathers and armor gone. Panic seized her only to remember Miriam and the other girls had left the room with them after her bath yesterday. She was left to change into the only other clothes she had: her wine stained Guard tunic and simple breeches. She was chewing on some mint leaves she found in a glass box next to the basin when she heard the knock she was expecting. When she opened the door, though, Torm's smiling face surprised her.

"Good morning, Sianna," he said and stepped by her to enter the room.

"Torm?" Sianna followed him.

"Miriam came running to us with an unusual story. I had to come and see for myself," he said, eyes scanning the room.

He went to the window and pulled the curtain open. Sianna blinked her tears away, willing the hammering in her head to stop. When her vision returned, she saw Torm standing before the pile of black bones. Sianna winced when she noticed they were on top of one of the lavish rugs. Torm said nothing about it thought; he stood silent, observing the remains with a frown. She wished he would say something soon. He looked too much like Lycin when he frowned.

"So this was not a Magus?" he asked, facing her.

Sianna blinked. She hadn't thought of that. Maybe she should've asked that to Reth instead of playing the temptress with him.

"Mi'lord?" Miriam's squeak came from the open door. She huddled the frame, carrying folded clothes in her arms.

"Come in, girl," Torm said, "there is nothing to fear anymore. Place Sianna's clothes on her bed."

Miriam did as told but the fear still marked her face. She crossed the room, timid brown eyes locked on the bed.

"Before you leave, I'd like you to bring Piers so he may collect this and bring it to the Silver Hall," he ordered.

The color drained from her but she curtsied nonetheless and muttered a sullen "Yes, mi'lord" before scurrying out of the room.

Torm strolled back to the door, the tails of his lengthy doublet bouncing off his legs. "I will wait for you to change. I doubt you wish to talk to the Captain with wine on your clothes."

"What? I mean...What do you mean my lord?"

 He stopped and smiled at her. "Miriam burst in the room and spilled her fright while my father was having his breakfast with the Captain. They both want to speak to you right away. I suggest you wear something...nice."