24. So We Cool?

READ THE AUTHORS NOTE AT THE END. (Pretty please?)

      The next couple of hours were filled with laughter.  I love Ryder's family, I wish my home could be filled with all this happiness.  As we are playing the game Telestrations, my phone starts ringing on the coffee table. 

"Sorry, let me just take this call really quick." I apologize while standing up.  I make my way to the kitchen and answer the phone. 

"Hello?" I ask. 

"Avery? What the hell? I've been trying to call you all day!" A harsh voice shouts through the other end of the phone. 

I scoff. "You're the last person I thought would call me."

I hear Brooke sigh. "Look, I went to your place to apologize... You didn't answer the door so I got my key and went inside.  Munchkin wasn't there and your room was cluttered, as if you packed up.  I kind of flipped.  Bailey, Danny and Connor had no clue as to where the both of you were, so I called." She explains.

"Well thank you for your concern.  I went to visit my mom... I'll explain when I get back."

"Okay."

"Bye."

"By-"

I hang up. 

      Okay what the hell? She screams at me and makes me feel guilty, and then calls the next day acting as if she cares? If she really cared, she wouldn't have said what she did. I just groan and grab a banana.  I angrily peel the banana and munch on it.  I can't stay mad at her forever... I guess I'll just hear her explanation when I get back.  Right now I just want to spend some time with Ryder and his family. 

      I finish my banana and throw it into the trash can, before stomping back into the living room. Mr and Mrs Slade aren't in the room so I'm guessing they went to get their pajamas on. 

"You okay?" Ryder asks. 

"Just peachy." I huff, plopping down onto the couch next to him. 

Ryder rests his head on my shoulder.  "Did I ever tell you how strong you were?"

I chuckle and shake my head. "I don't think so..."

Ryder laughs and pulls me close to him. "Well, you are very strong."

I flex my arm. "Yea, not to brag but I totally workout like everyday."

Ryder slaps my arm jokingly. "Not that strong, silly." 

I chuckle. "I know."

I sit and think for a minute. "Hey Ryder?"

"Yea?"

"Was I a little too hard on my parents?"

He sighs. "Personally, I think that what happened was done in the moment... But, I know that if I were you, I would've done the same thing."

I nod. "Yea... I just don't know how I'm supposed to apologize when what they did was so much worse, ya know?"

Ryder plays with a strand of my hair. "I get it.  Maybe you all should sit down and talk... I'll be there if you want."

I smile. "That's a good idea.  You wouldn't mind going?"

He chuckles. "Of course not. I'm supposed to have your back remember?"

"Yea, I remember."

• • •

I take a shaky step towards the front door.