Sad Song

LUCY POV
Lockwood held my small body easily as George watched the ghost, occasionally jabbing it with the rapier, while it did flicker from his swipes, it didn't fall back. It's faze was firmly fixed on me. But just as pressing were the eyes of Lockwood, filled with worry as I leaned against him for support. My head throbbed as I realized the pain was decreasing along with the sound, all that was left was a slow melody, hummed with a raspy voice. What an idiot I was letting myself completely open like that but know I understood, understood that something was off about this ghost. I lifted myself off Lockwood, wiping my eyes, he grabbed me as I swayed,

"That's it Luce," he looked at me solemnly "We're getting out of he-"I held out my hand to stop him, the ghost had continued singing, I watched her body glitch and flash out, almost like it was having a battle with itself.

"Something's not right,"I said "she's acting... odd." Three dark figures stepped out of the mist, they were definitely living people, we all stood there dumb struck as the men started closing in. The ghost girl seemed to completely ignore them as she continued to inch toward us.

"Guys..."

"We see them George." Said Lockwood pulling out his rapier, I did likewise, but my muscles strained still tired from the sound attack... or what ever had just happened to me.

In a sudden rush of wind and the young girl charged, following close behind were the three men, in all the confusion George threw a flare, hot smoke bellowed up making me temporarily blind. I coughed as smoke filled my lungs, and flung my arm around trying to feel for George's flannel or Lockwoods thick coat. Behind me I felt a pair of rough hands with sharp nails grab me, and I could feel his hot breath on my neck.

When the smoke cleared  Lockwood stood cornered by one of the men in black and a now reforming ghost. I glanced around but I couldn't see where George and the third man had gone. Smoke lingered in the stale air.

My captor pulled out a knife, he twirled it in his hand, I could almost hear his smile. He was playing with us-first mistake.

He held me loosely underestimating me-second mistake. I refuse to let Lockwood get caught because of me.

"Drop your rapier and walk over here little boy with your hands up and the pretty girl won't get hurt." Laughed the man holding me. I slowly raised my foot till it was level with my captors knee, using all my strength I kicked back and heard a loud pop. Instinctively he dropped the knife and grabbed his knee falling over. I snatched the knife from the ground and scrambled up to Lockwood's side. I could feel the chill of the fully reformed ghost right behind me, the girl did not attack, it was as though the strange men had complete control over her.

Out of the shadows the third man at merged holding a knife point at George's throat. Fury filled me as I raised the knife.

"You're a tricky girl." He smiled, his voice was rough."That's gonna get you all killed one day." As if to prove his point he pushed the thin silver knife closer to George's chubby throat. George's eyes bulged under his glasses.

"Drop him now." Lockwood said in a deadly quiet voice.

"Only if," continued the man, he had a wolffish smile,"You and and your friend drop your weapon and walk here with your hands up." I slowly lowered my knife, we threw them to the floor, Lockwood and I reluctantly walked past the clattering weapons with our hands up. The man who was still nursing his hurt knee grabbed me and held me tight digging his nails into my skin. I watched as Lockwood was snatched up by the last man.

A cloth covered my mouth,  I breathed in the fumes and my brain did a spin and went dark.

Giorgia Lo Russo