CHAPTER XXXVII: IN THY ARMS, AMEN

"If I can't find the cure, I'll
I'll fix you with my love
No matter what you know, I'll
I'll fix you with my love."
- Lady Gaga, The Cure

Everything is at its calmness as we watch the stars and the full moon across the sky, staring right back at us. The foods were great and awesome. It's not because of the fact that Slate made it, it's because he really is a good cook. He's good at the kitchen. I kind of expected that – he has been living on Earth since forever. I would assume that he has done a lot of things already, did things that humans normally and usually do.

We remain watching the city and the sky as a comfortable silence looms over us. I turn my head to look at him, admiring everything about him. This demon sitting right next to me is the reason why I feel this way. He's a demon that has changed. He's the reason why I don't want to go back to my homeland; the reason why I don't want to be found. I'm enjoying sitting next to him, or having him around me. He is a demon, I'm an angel, and by nature, we are enemies, but deep in our hearts, we know that we aren't.

Slate turns to look at me, his eyes boring into mine. His eyes glisten, and his face becomes angelic and more handsome as the light of the moon spotlights him. My breath hitches because never he once he looked at me like that. There's this emotion in his eyes that is just overwhelming for me to see. Then I remember something from my dream that I had. I saw his face; he was in the heavens. He was an angel. It could be anyone else, but the angel in my dream and Slate's face share a strong resemblance. Everything was white, but it all burned down to blackness when the angel's light disappeared. I thought I had seen my parents, but they were blurry, and I wasn't sure if they were really my parents.

"You have a worried look on your face," he states softly, his hand cupping my face and I lean into it, feeling the warmth of his hand. "Mind telling me what's bugging you?" He doesn't demand. He wants me to tell him what's bugging me in my own will, and I appreciate that.

Looking down at my lap, suddenly finding it interesting, I heave up a sigh. "Just a dream I had," I begin, letting out a chuckle once I think that it's a ridiculous thing that the angel in my dream and Slate were just one person. It's a ridiculous dream, that's it. The heaven hadn't turned into hell. "I thought I saw you in my dreams – you were in the Heavens, and then... the Heavens turned into Hell. White turned to darkness. I thought I saw my parents, too, but... it's just a dream. I shouldn't be bothered by that."

For a moment he tenses, his face turning white as if he has seen a ghost, which would be a ridiculous thing since he's a demon. Then he looks away, his jaw clenching, and I see how he has become tense. I furrow my brows, trying to decipher why his mood has changed suddenly. Then he looks at me again, his hand covering mine. "You shouldn't be."

I have this feeling that he's hiding something from me. An important thing. But if he doesn't want to tell me what it is, then that's fine. If he wants to tell me, he'll do it. And I know that someday, he's going to. I just need to wait for that time to come.

Giving him a small smile, I squeeze his hand, letting him know that everything is going to be okay. Slowly, he leans down, his eyes boring deep into mine, holding a lot of emotions. My heart races as his face nears mine, and it stops every time he blinks. Gently, his lips land on mine. My thoughts become scattered, and my mind goes blank as his lips move with mine.

His other hand rests at the back of my neck, guiding me as he kisses me passionately. My heart feels like it's about to explode – even in the kiss, it feels like he's pouring everything into it – every emotion, and I don't mind. I like it. Heavens, I love it. I kiss him with passion just as much as what he gives.