Chapter 10

Death is your only guarantee in life. It's inevitable. However, death should only be sentenced after a full and well-lived life. No parent should have to say goodbye to their child - especially before they'd even had a chance to live. The town had dealt with more loss in a few months than most would in a lifetime. Whoever is behind these mass murders has declared war. The town is out for retribution.

The townspeople gather inside the home of the dead around the open grave. The casket lowers into its eternal home. The entire atmosphere is plagued with anguish as gut-wrenching sobs pierce the typical silence.

Friends and family gather as they watch another cherished member of the community lowered into their final resting place. Amelia watches from afar as Tiffany's mother collapses to the ground as the perpetual tears not only emotionally, but physically, exhaust her.

She leans against the mature willow tree. It's not that she didn't care Tiffany had suffered an ill fate, she just thought it to be selfish to show up to honor someone she never knew. The closest to pleasantries they'd shared was when Tiffany once, impolitely, asked her to move out of a seat she'd wanted.

It doesn't mean she deserved to die this way. Amelia thinks.

Her eyes glance over the large expanse of land littered with hundreds of dearly departed. A distant figure hidden behind another willow tree captures her attention. She straightens her posture and squints her eyes.

A cloaked figure.

Her breath hitches in her throat at the sight. Her legs take over her mind and she hastily marches towards the mystery person. By the time she'd gotten to the tree the figure had already taken off - and she realized how far away she'd been lured from witnesses.

"Amelia." She jumps at the voice and her heart feels as if it's about to yank itself from her chest.

"Officer Nichols." She sighs at the friendly sight of the youthful officer. "You scared me."

"Sorry." He raises his hands in the air.

She takes a moment to regain her composure before glancing over his shoulder. She could barely see the funeral attendees from the distance.

"You shouldn't be out here all alone." He speaks. "There's a killer out there, Amelia." He states as if she hadn't already witnessed the bloodshed.

"I know." She clutches her chest. "I'm sorry."

She sullenly follows him back to the sorrowful crowd. Her head lowered like a scolded child's. However, she couldn't risk one more glance over her shoulder. The cloaked figure is nowhere in sight.

Abigail scopes the pictures on the wall of the Evans' living room. From baby pictures - until recent pictures of Homecoming. She winces at the image of her smiling best friend holding a bouquet with the crown regally placed on her head. How morbid that unbeknownst to everyone at that moment, it would be their last happy memory of her.

The cup of tea Mrs. Evans freshly brewed for her has gone cold. She'd been too distracted by the images

"Sorry that it took so long." She apologizes as she'd left twenty minutes ago to answer a phone call.

It was important.

"It's no problem." She awkwardly places her hands behind her back.

She'd never been here without Tiffany.

"I was wondering if I could go up to Tiffany's room. There are a few things I'd like to keep."

"Of course." Mrs. Evans attempts to hold back a frown as her eyes become glossy. "Whatever you want."