43: Lily's Viola

Before I was able to look deeper to Rose strange expression, a group of young women came to us. Rose gave her usual charming smile and introduced me to those I haven't met. I had recognized some voices from the restroom earlier and knew that some of women weren't there for normal pleasantry. They were scheming something. Keeping my expression neutral, I stood beside Rose and listen to the flow of the conversation. Soon enough, I was

dragged in by one of the women asking me if I was a pianist like Rose.

"No, I'm not a pianist"

"Surely, you know how to play. You're just being modest with us"

I kept a smile on my face while they continued to bait me.

"Rose had been so kind to grace us with a beautiful performance, you must follow suit"

Again, I didn't say anything - just smile while they continue to flatter Rose in order to get me to step into their trap.

"How can I preform when I forgotten how to play the piano?"

Ever since my reawakening, I did not go anywhere near a piano. Yes, I resented it because it had been something I forced myself to play in order to gain my parents affection and compete with my sister. While I can play better than some, I had no desire to play it anymore. Now, there wasn't the need for me to be anyone else but myself - Calla.

"Forgotten? Surely, you're joking"

I smiled and shook my head even though she was mocking me.

"Don't be like that, we're all friends. We promise not to laugh if you don't play as well as Rose."

"Not many people could play as well as Rose" I laughed brightly. "Would you play knowing Rose is 100 times more talented than you?"

"You're making me blush Calla" Rose giggled softly into her hand.

I nudged her arm while she nudged me back. All a while I could see their veins pop while their smiles are becoming more and more force. They didn't like that I wasn't going along with their schemes.

"Surely, you must have some musical skill. You're a Lind after all."

With that, she was challenging my name directly. While her friend was pulling at her arm telling her without words that she was going too far, the woman continued to give me a mocking smile.

"Of course I do have some ability" I continue to smile at her. "Rather than the piano, I prefer the violin"

"Wonderful" The girl smile was sly. "I knew you were only being coy about your talent"

"Talent?" I laughed softly - surprising her. "I wouldn't call my mediocre skill a talent"

"Nonsense let us be the judge of that"

Before Rose get to stop the woman, she already turned and made the announcement to everyone. Rose frowned at the girl's bold attempt to embarrass me, while I found it amusing. The brazen girl even went as far as clear the path for me to stand in the center of the ballroom. Challenging eyes stared at me until I finally stepped forward.

"Calla" Rose took hold of my wrist.

I could see her concern and simply smile at her before I continued forward.

"You put me in a difficult position Ms. Kragen, I don't have my violin"

"I'm sure someone here would loan you theirs"

For any professional violinist, they would hesitate to hand over their violin. For most, it was a part of them - even asking to borrow it was consider rude. I, myself, understood that unspoken rule so did not ask anyone. The brazen woman on the other hand, did not understand and asked the violinist closest to her for his instrument. I could see his silent glare and sigh softly at the woman was too ignorant to care about another person feeling.

"Ms. Calla"

All of a sudden, I turned to the soft faint voice and saw a little girl barely 7 years old. I smiled because the little girl looked so adorable in her purple tulle dress with her brown hair tied up into a cute bun. In her hand was a small viola which she held up to me.

"You can borrow mine"

She sounded both shy and nervous while she looked up at me with her big brown eyes.

"My hero" I smiled and bend down to sit on my heels. "What is your name?"

"L_ Lily" The little girl blushed.

"Lily? We're the same"

"Huh?"

"Violet Calla Lily - I walked by in the dark - dizzying scent... We are but simple flowers"

I couldn't help but recited a poem I've read not so long ago. The little girl didn't fully understand my words, but she understood my gratitude so she smiled happily. As I took her small viola in hand, I stood and face the smirking woman who looked at if she won the battle that hasn't even started yet.

In that moment, Emi Suzuki had stepped forward, clapping happily as she looked at me. The sweet woman was clearly excited that I would be playing. Funny thing is, no one knows if I could even play or not. I knew well the reason to everyone eagerness is because of my family's name. Some wondered if I even know how to play - others wanted to see me make a fool of myself.