Chapter 10

"Bet you ain't know that I be checking you out when you be putting your heels on
I swear, your body's so perfect, baby
How you work it, baby yeah, wooo!
I love the way that you be poking it out, girl
Give me something to feel on
So please believe we gone be twerking it out
By the end of the night, baby."
Usher "There Goes My Baby"

August

"Ohh boy, you looking like you like what you see
Won't you come over check up on it
I'm-a let you work up on it
Ladies let 'em check up on it, watch it while he check up on it
Dip it, pop it, twerk it, stop it, check on me tonight."

I don't want to believe that Ashanti has Beyoncé's entire discography because that would mean that's she's obsessed, but the fact that none of the songs have repeated for the past 2 hours is scaring me. Some of them, I've never even heard before like "Schoolin' Life". I guess I should have bought B's deluxe edition of her album, 4.

"Ashanti! Can you please hurry up? The concert starts in less than a hour."

"I'm almost done with my makeup!" She's been playing only Beyoncé's music since I told her that I got VIP tickets for her concert last week. It's like she didn't get the memo that the On The Run Tour is Beyoncé co-headlining with Jay-Z because she has not put on a single one of his songs. I only hear his voice if he's a feature on his wife's track. They're in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl for two nights and tonight is the first.

I walked into the bathroom in her room that was in a mess with eyeliners, highlighters, lipsticks, and all that other junk.

"I told you in advance that I was coming to pick you up at 7:30." I am getting irritated. I like being punctual even if the event isn't guaranteed to start on time.

"I can't go there looking ugly, August. The only thing that's left is the mascara." I grabbed her hands and pulled us both out of the bathroom.

"Look, you don't need all of this bullsh*t. Makeup doesn't define beauty; you look beautiful without it." When she opened her mouth, I thought she was going to praise me for loving her natural beauty but I was wrong. Ashanti actually started singing.

"If I were a boyI think I could understandHow it feels to love a girlI swear I'd be a better manI'd listen to herCause I know how it hurtsWhen you lose the one you wantedCause he's taken you for grantedAnd everything you had got destroyed

"If I were a boy
I think I could understand
How it feels to love a girl
I swear I'd be a better man
I'd listen to her
Cause I know how it hurts
When you lose the one you wanted
Cause he's taken you for granted
And everything you had got destroyed."