Chapter 20

"Cause you mean the world to me
You are my everything
I swear the only thing that matters
Matters to me
Oh baby, baby, baby, baby, baby
'cause you mean so much to me."
Toni Braxton "You Mean The World to Me"

Ashanti

"Girl, I don't know how you do it." Teyana and I just left the gym. She practically dragged me there when I was trying to sleep and enjoy the warmth I felt under the covers. This chick becomes a whole different person when she's at gym; she literally transforms into a beast.

"You're just lazy. We were only there for an hour before you started begging me for us to leave." She retorted.

"I don't think I can walk anymore. My legs feel like jello. I can't breathe, pass me that bottle of water." I moved my seat into a reclining position, so I could stretch my legs. We're now on our way to Ralphs to get some groceries.

"It's right there in the cup holder next to you. Your hand is on top of bottle." Teyana looked at me like I was dumb.

"But I'm tired." I whined. I took out my phone from my jacket to see if I had any messages from August.

"You're too tired to pick up the water that may bring you relief from your heavy breathing, but you can text your man like it's nothing. That makes complete sense." She replied, sarcastically. I didn't say anything because I knew she was right. When we got to the grocery store, I still hadn't taken a sip from the water. I guess it wasn't important.

I pushed the car, while T looked at the sales flyer. I opened my notes on my phone and looked over the grocery list I wrote; well, typed.

"Do you want to split up?" I asked her.

"No, because every time we come here or Walmart, you sneak some junk food into the cart when I'm not looking. I know better now." I rolled my eyes at her remark.

"Anyway, let's get some fruit." I picked up a bag of red grapes, a bag of green apples, and a pineapple. I took one of those containers of caramel dip for the apples.

"You forgot the mangos." Teyana reminded.

"I don't like them and you know that. So, get them yourself." I left here there to look for the ripe ones as I skipped over to the bakery and saw my favorite person who worked there, Mrs. Brooks.

"What's popping, Mrs. Brooks?" She's an older woman who is about the same height as me. Mrs. Brooks is also a member of the church I attend. She was the person who actually invited to the first service I attended.

"Child, don't you know these cookies are for the little ones?" She playfully chastised.

"We're all God's children." I smiled.

"You got me there." She laughed, shaking her head and handed me two sugar cookies; one for me and one for Teyana. I bet you she's going to eat it despite her constant rants about eating healthy.

"Thank you. I'll see you Sunday!"

"Be safe, dear!" She waved, before going to assist a customer who was looking at the book with past cake designs for special occasions. I started nibbling on the cookie as I walked back to T and the cart.