Chapter 34

Let’s get this dry ice into the cooler. Gotta keep the rest of the samples frozen to be effective. I’ve got serious plans for the next few cities…. Can’t afford to let this go to waste.

Damn, cheap motel! Don’t they even have HBO? Well… best to stay at these back alley holes in the wall where no one will find me or ask questions. Damn it... how many Spanish channels do we need? Learn to speak English you burrito eating sons of... what the? Is that newscaster talking about Atlanta?

This is Traci Morgan of Fox5 Atlanta. Doctors at Atlanta General Hospital had their hands full today when over fifty patients entered the emergency room with unusual symptoms of fever, malaise, and bleeding from the eyes. Concerns of a deadly viral outbreak have caused CDC to be alerted and a team will be on site to determine if quarantine protocols will be necessary. Let’s go to Carl Nelson who is live on site at Atlanta General. Carl?”

Thank you Traci. Interviews with patients have revealed that a number of the infected appear to have attended the Atlanta Jazz Festival over the weekend. It’s not clear what the cause may have been, whether it was something they ingested, or if they were exposed to an unusual agent. The hospital has notified the CDC, and will run blood samples to screen for known agents. It is not clear how widespread this problem may be, as tens of thousands of people attended the festival over the weekend, but Doctors advise that if you are experiencing symptoms, please go to the nearest hospital immediately. Traci, back to you.”

Thank you Carl. This just in.... The FAA has ordered the closure of Atlanta International Airport to limit further spread of a viral hemorrhagic fever outbreak that suddenly appeared here in Atlanta. CDC Director Dr. John Beltmann has recalled his Viral Special Pathogens team who will be key to isolating and identifying a possible cure. The CDC has not been immune to sequestration and several sections including the VSP started furloughs fourteen days ago. It is not clear if this will have an impact on the CDC’s ability to respond to this situation in Atlanta, but from what we have all experienced with the government furlough’s impact to airline travel and park closures, delays may be expected.”

Ha! I did that! They’re talking about the people I infected! They’re all getting what they deserve. Finally!

But, wow! This stuff is wicked bad. Just what did you cook up in that lab of yours, Doctor Ecks?

Ah, at last…. Justice. Got to get some sleep, and get an earlier start to my next target. San Antonio... God I hate Texas….