• thirty eight

Be careful
because butterflies
can be wasps.
When your stomach flutters
and your hands shake
and your cheeks flush,
sometimes it's not love.
It's pain.

Ivy Edwards was primarily known for her bluntness and poor ability to emotionally sympathize with others

Ivy Edwards was primarily known for her bluntness and poor ability to emotionally sympathize with others. When John Jeffries' toad suffered a fatal accident on a failed Transfiguration task back in third year Ivy took the animal's limp body from a weeping John's hand and tossed it in the trash, arguing that she believed John would feel better then. So naturally, Alexis was stunned when she found the girl sneaking into the Slytherin dormitories at night to keep her company, and even more so when she took it upon herself to be by Alexis' side the entirety of the next day. Sentimentalism was not something Ivy liked involving herself with, but it appeared that Alexis was the one exception.

They went for breakfast in the kitchens, opting for some privacy and not wanting to deal with any drama so early on in the morning. Then they skipped their respective first classes, Ivy doing so to accompany Alexis so she wouldn't have to go to Potions with the Gryffindors, missing Charms with the Hufflepuffs herself. Once again, too early to deal with unsolicited drama.

"It's Transfiguration next. All four Houses." Ivy took slow steps as she walked alongside Alexis. "McGonagall's going to kill us if we skip. Are you — are you ready to go?" She asked with hesitance.

Alexis chuckled lightly, touched by Ivy's consideration despite her obvious discomfort. "Let's go to class," she nudged her side playfully as they made their way back inside the castle. The small smile was instantly wiped from her face when she remembered the reason they had been skipping class in the first place. Her.

They could hear the commotion of students exiting their classrooms nearing as they walked through the hallways. The Transfiguration classroom was just around the corner, making Alexis stop to have a look at her reflection in one of the nearby windows. Ivy stopped a couple of steps ahead and looked at her with an amused expression that covered her sad one, knowing very well what was happening.

"What are you doing?" Whispered Ivy with a sad smile.

Alexis tucked a strand of hair behind her ear to further scrutinize her features, turning her face to the sides to have a look at her profile as well. She unsuccessfully tried to hide her displeasure when her fingers traced the birthmark on her chin. "Not even close to a veela," she whispered.

Ivy took a deep breath and pulled her away from her reflection, muttering angrily as she did so. "I'm going to break that Frenchie's face in. No boy will like her then, I can guarantee you that." That was the real Ivy. Alexis chuckled disheartened as she allowed herself to be pulled by her friend. The Transfiguration classroom came into view with an abundance of students waiting by the entry, amongst them were the four mischievous boys who seemed to be talking each other's ears off. No sign of Marion.