Cigarette

"I just love the weather here. Don't you?"
     Isaac looked at Raymond to see him looking up at the sky as he walked, a smile plastered across his face. "Perfect for ghosts and other entities. I may not believe in vampires, but ghosts are my thing."
     Isaac didn't know what to say. He believed in ghosts, but that was the bad thing. It just terrified him even more. He was already having trouble sleeping because of the new house.
     "Ghosts weird me out," he mumbled. "I'm kind of a pussy, though."
     "Not all ghosts are bad. If they're not seeking revenge, then they're probably not that dangerous."
     "Any experiences with a ghost?"
     "Normal things. Things that people write off as "just the wind", you know?"
     "Yeah. Creaky doors and stuff."
     "Exactly."
It was hard not to believe that Raymond was a little crazy.
     The two of them came to a stop in front of the music store. The light was on, and Isaac heard James laughing. They probably got so bored in there, he thought. What did they do when everyone was at church?
     "I don't know what they'll think of me," Raymond said. "I've seen James before. He looks tough."
     "You mean you've never talked to them?" Isaac gave him a confused glance.
     "They walk by the graveyard on the way home. He and Andy, I mean. I see them, but they don't pay attention to me. They say each other's names a lot- that's how I know who they are."
     "Hm. I bet they'll like you."
     "I hope so."
     Isaac took a step forward and pushed open the door. Raymond stayed behind and bit his lip, keeping his hands behind his back.
"You can come in, Raymond," Isaac said, raising an eyebrow. "It's alright." Raymond nodded and rushed to follow him.
James smirked when he saw the two walk in. "Mornin'," he said. "You're a little early this time."
Isaac smiled awkwardly. "Yep," he said. "I wanted you to talk to Raymond." Raymond stepped out from behind Isaac and gave a little wave.
"Hey. I'm James." James held out his hand, and Raymond slowly stepped forward to shake it.
     "I'm Raymond. Pleasure to meet you."
     "I've seen you around before. Are you the one who kinda fucks around the woods a lot?"
     Raymond froze and gave a nervous glance towards Isaac. "Uh..I mean, I've been in there before. I just take walks there, though. Look for vampires and stuff."
     "So you know 'bout that stuff, too? You believe it?"
     "I know a lot about the legend. I don't think the vampire part is true though."
     "The fuck was that kid's name? It's been bugging me."
     "Charles Bennett."
     James clapped his hands. "Yes. Oh, lemme get Andy. He'd be mad if we talked about it without him." James walked out from behind the counter and turned a corner. "Andy!" He shouted. "Got a little English boy here- he's talking about that vampire shit you like!"
     Isaac noticed Raymond's hands start to shake. "He's very loud," he whispered, a wavering smile appearing on his face.
     James came back with tiny little Andy at his side, and Andy couldn't look more excited. He rushed up to Raymond and smiled.
     "James tells me you're as obsessed as I am," he said. Maybe the two would work well together, Isaac thought.
     "Uh, yeah. I am." Raymond stuck his hands in his pockets. "We actually came a little early because we found something really weird. Isaac thought you'd like it."
     Isaac furrowed his brow. That wasn't true; it was Raymond who had brought up the idea and Raymond who wanted to go. He kept his mouth shut, though- he didn't want Andy's first impression of Raymond to be ruined.
     "What was it?" Andy's voice interrupted Isaac's thoughts.
     "You know that old mausoleum?" Raymond asked. "On the left side of the cemetery?"
     "Yeah."
     "We found stuff in there that could only mean someone was living in it. A mattress, a blanket and a pillow."
     Andy's eyes grew huge. "Really?"
     "What we found at the door was weirder. There were dozens of these tiny bottles with corks in them, and they were all filled with blood. We smelled them, right, Isaac?"
     Isaac was so deep in thought about why Raymond had lied that he was taken aback by the question. "Oh, uh..yeah. We did. It was blood."
     "Shit, man. I gotta see this." Andy turned to look back at James, who had his arms crossed and was looking on in amusement. "We gotta run this place all day or our Dad'll kill us."
     "We'll do it tonight, then. Light a fuckin' fire or something. Bring drinks." James smirked. "Bet'cha Isaac can't handle half a bottle of vodka."
     Isaac felt his ears get hot as James and Andy chuckled. "Hey.." He huffed, at a loss for words. "I can handle it, I think."
     "You're in college, right?" Raymond looked over at Isaac and gave him a sympathetic look, obviously upset at the two boys for laughing.
     "Uh, yeah. Damn, I forgot I had a campus tour later today. Glad I thought of it."
     "Good, you're legal," James said. "I'm not getting busted tonight by the shit cops here. Not tonight." He pulled a pack of cigarettes and a lighter out of his pocket and started to smoke. "You could kill a man and get off scot free here."
     Raymond bit his lip, and Isaac assumed it was out of fear of James. He was rather loud, but he was extremely cool. Tattoos, piercings, cigarettes, a raspy voice and thick accent- he was almost nothing like the nerd Andy was.
"Right then." Andy glared up at James, who gave a little sarcastic sneer back. "Tonight."
     "Cemetery entrance," Raymond said, and the two nodded at each other. "See you then."
     "Bring drinks! There's only so much I can fit in my arms!" James blew out smoke and gave a little wave.
     "Sure." Raymond turned and started to walk towards the door, and Isaac quickly followed. The place was starting to smell.
     Once the door had closed all the way, Raymond sighed. "I guess the two are brothers?"
     "The way they talked, that's my guess."
     "Well.." Raymond reached into his pocket and pulled out a lighter and a cigarette. In the same manner as James, he lit it and started to smoke. "Want one?" He asked. Isaac quickly shook his head.
     "I'd better get home," he said. "I've got that college tour in an hour."
     "I'll walk with you. Your house is on the way to mine."
     "I hope the people there don't stare at me," Isaac said as they started to walk.
     "You look fine. Keep your shirt tucked in, remove any earrings or piercings you have, and keep your hands in your pockets. Painted nails aren't the norm here."
     Isaac glanced down at his nails, bitten down and stubby. He had painted them black recently. "I like them."
     "Me too. It's just that the public won't."
     "..You sure do know how to please the public."
     Raymond blew out smoke. "Yep. I sure do."