Contacts

"God, this place is a mess," Raymond said as the two walked into the mausoleum. "I'm sorry."
     Isaac just shook his head. He didn't want to say anything stupid since he was worried James and Andy were waiting to jump out. But, then again, he wasn't so sure. He might have just been hypnotized. You can't just do that when you're pulling a prank, right? Was he just paranoid?
     Raymond walked into the corner of the room and started rummaging through an old backpack. "You can sit down if you want," he said. "Wherever you'd like."
     Hesitantly, Isaac sat down on the mattress. He couldn't help but eye the bottles in the corner every few seconds.
     Raymond came back with a bottle of clear liquid and a cotton ball. "I'll put bandages on it before you leave," he said, pouring out some of the liquid onto the cotton. "This'll sting." He pressed it onto Isaac's arm. He was right, but Isaac tried his hardest to act tough and not wince.
     "This has gone on for too long," Isaac said. "You're not gonna get a reaction out of me, so if you want to get the guys in here, go ahead."
     Raymond frowned. "This isn't a trick." He stood up, letting the cotton ball fall onto the mattress. He walked back over to the backpack and pulled out a small mirror, as well as a contact lens case. His face showed up perfectly fine in the mirror, which added to Isaac's skepticism.
     "Typically, we're only invisible in older mirrors," Raymond remarked. "I think it's something about the material or the backing. I'm not sure." He began taking out his contacts, keeping his back mostly turned. Once he had closed the case and put the mirror back, he glanced at Isaac with bright crimson eyes.
     Isaac felt his heart start to speed up. He kept trying to tell himself that this was a joke, but that was becoming harder to believe. He wasn't calm anymore. "This isn't..oh, my god."
     "I've got more proof. I know this will convince you." He began to take off his suit jacket, and Isaac saw a red dot on the side of his neck. He carefully folded the jacket up and placed it on the mattress, then crouched down in front of Isaac.
     "Your neck." Once Raymond had shifted around more, Isaac saw another dot. There were two, and they weren't that far apart from each other.
     "Oh, yes. That's..I don't like to talk about that. Feel right here." Raymond pointed to his heart. "See if it's beating."
     Ignoring the quick subject change, Isaac placed his hand on the side of Raymond's black shirt where his heart would be. Despite Raymond taking deep breaths, he couldn't feel a heartbeat. He shifted his hand a little, just in case he was on the wrong side. Still nothing. With every second, he became more fearful.
     "I..I can't find anything. Your heart isn't.." Isaac pulled his hand back, his whole body starting to tremble. "It's not beating." He quickly grabbed Raymond's wrist and rolled up the cuffs of his shirt. His arm was thin and bony, his skin freezing cold and an ashen color. He felt for a pulse, but there was nothing there.
     "Convinced?" Raymond jerked his hand away and quickly rolled his sleeve back down. Despite the aggressive act, his eyes were gentle and concerned.
     Isaac was about to panic. The reality was finally settling in, and he couldn't be more shocked. "You're a vampire," he said, his mouth slightly agape. Raymond smiled.
     "So you believe me now?" He asked, grabbing his jacket and putting it back on. He pulled up the collar of his shirt to cover the dots.
     Isaac held tightly onto his wrist, the feeling of his own pulse calming him down. "I can't believe this," he whispered to himself. "How did this happen? How old are you?"
     "What year is it?"
     "1992."
     "Nine-teen?!" Raymond's eyes widened. He sat back down next to Isaac. "I'm pretty old, then."
     "When were you born? Do you remember?"
     "Sometime in August of 1828."
     Isaac raised his eyebrows. "What? That's insane!"
     "I know, I know. I'm an old, crotchety man."
     "You don't look the part." Despite the rest of him looking quite dead, Raymond had lively eyes and a round, smooth face with no sign of any facial hair. He was stunningly handsome, but Isaac had never wanted to acknowledge it.
     Raymond chuckled. "You should see my abdomen. I don't look good without clothing."
     "Yeah." Isaac's smile slowly started to fade as he once again looked over at the bottles. "Do you wanna explain the bottles?"
Raymond sighed. "I knew this would come up. It's..it's a lot of detail to go into. All you need to know is that the people are still alive, and they're still human. We have control over whether or not the person we bite turns."
"Are you just afraid of telling me the truth, or are you trying to not make me scared?"
"I don't want you to be afraid of me. I can tell that, at least in the back of your mind, you are."
He wasn't wrong. "I'm next, aren't I?"
Instead of looking offended or surprised like Isaac expected, Raymond just shook his head. "Not anymore, you're not," he said.
"But I was."
"I promise you that I'm trying to stop this. You think I don't hate this? I absolutely loathe myself for even considering you. I would never hurt you."
"That's what you told all of them." Isaac had been stabbed in the back. He liked James and Andy, but they were so rough. He had been excited to actually have a friend in a place like this. He hated this town even more every minute.
"I'm leaving." He stood up and walked towards the doorway. "Once you feel like actually telling me the truth, come over." He jammed his hands in his pockets and started to walk off.
"Wait!" Raymond ran to catch up. "What about your cut?"
"I have bandages at home. Now leave me alone and don't talk to me unless you actually want to tell me what the hell's up."
"Did I make you upset?"
"I just found out that you're a fucking vampire, and now you're telling me that you wanted a meal out of me. I've had enough. You're a monster."
Ignoring the rest of Raymond's excuses, Isaac walked away. He didn't want to be controlled again. He wasn't going to let Raymond convince him. Once he was far away enough from Raymond's view, he started to run for his life.