Phone

**I'm aware that this is shorter than normal but this was all that was needed in this chapter and I didn't want to purposefully stretch it out. Hope you enjoy anyway
--------------------------------------------
     As soon as Isaac got to his house, he ran over to the phone. He punched in his mother's phone number and leaned against the wall, anxious and desperate for her to pick up.
     "Hello?"
     Isaac sighed in relief. "Mom! It's Isaac."
     "Hey, sweetie. How do you like-"
     "I hate it here, Mom. I want to come home. I miss you." Isaac kept blabbing and trying not to cry.
     "Honey, calm down. You haven't even started your classes yet. That's the reason you went all that way. Is it just because you miss me?"
     "It's so creepy here. The sun's never out, and all the buildings look abandoned, and I never see anyone in the streets or any cars, and everyone here is so heavily Christian that they gave me dirty looks even when I had no makeup on. All of the students at the tour glared at me."
     "Well.." Isaac heard his mother sigh. "That's just how people are. Everyone has their beliefs. Have they been hurting you?"
     "No, but I've only met, like, two nice people. I met another one, too, but," Isaac shuddered, "he's a freak."
     "That's rude, Isaac. Surely he's not that bad."
     "He's like a vampire. He's so pale it's scary, and he wears red contacts." Isaac couldn't tell her the whole truth. She'd think he was crazy.
     "He might be trying to combat the religious part of the town. Normally you get rebels in a place like that."
     "I'm just scared I'm gonna end up hurt. What if..oh, god, Mom, what if they find out I like boys and girls? They'll kill me!"
     "They won't kill you. Look, Isaac, isn't it late there? Maybe you just need a good night's sleep."
     That's all Isaac wanted at that point. "I don't know."
     "It's only been two days. Once your classes start, you'll get into the swing of things."
     "It's been the longest two days of my life," Isaac mumbled.
     "Well, they're over now. I promise the next few days will be better. Call me tomorrow, okay? Get some sleep and enjoy your time without school."
     "Okay. Love you, Mom."
     "I love you too, Isaac."
     She hung up a little too quickly.
     Isaac put on sweatpants and a t-shirt and dove into bed, taking a deep breath. He had never been in a room so cozy before.
     Although it was the last thing he wanted to think about, he couldn't get his mind off of Raymond. He was all alone in that sad-looking mausoleum, with no friends or family or even clean clothes. He had worn the same suit two days in a row, so Isaac assumed he only had one or two on hand.
     He had no electricity or water, as far as Isaac knew. There was no blanket on the mattress, so he was forced to sleep in cold weather and probably even rain or snow without a blanket. He had to be freezing, right?
     Some people could draw or play instruments, but Isaac had the gift of pitying people. Every time he saw a homeless person, or someone who had to work a difficult job, or anybody who had to deal with the tiniest bad thing, he felt bad about it. It wasn't his fault, but he somehow felt the need to make up for it. He made sure his mother tipped people well, and he gave money to people on the streets.
     He pitied Raymond more than all of them. The thought of how much grief Raymond went through watching his family die and the pain he must have gone through made Isaac almost teary-eyed, but he blinked back any tears that may have been on their way. He was really lucky to be in this bed with a blanket over him, he thought. There was no reason for him to cry.
     Feeling no heartbeat in Raymond's chest had to be the scariest moment of his life. He imagined his heart just sitting still in his rib cage, not beating or working. It was just a blob now. He must be so cold without any blood in the majority of his body. Did his limbs feel like they were asleep all the time? Did it hurt to walk?
     Why did he feel so much pain and wonder for someone he had met just the day before? Raymond wasn't the focus of his life, and he needed to concentrate on his own problems instead of ones he couldn't fix.
     He really hated his gift sometimes.