Eleven

My nerves had levelled after serving everyone. It was hard not to have your mood brightened when everyone around you was beyond elated. I took the small amount that was left and headed towards the Harem, hoping Negan would take my peace offering.

When I arrived the place was void of any life, giving me a chance to settle in. I ladled a bowl and picked at it, butterflies already filling my stomach.

What will it cost?

I closed my eyes and prayed that he would punish me for my audacity. That Daryl wouldn't pay the price for it.

A gloved hand caressed my cheek, followed by a sharp nip to my ear. My eyes flung open, but I stayed still waiting for his next move.

Negan hovered by me, so close his whiskers scratched my face. "You are a very, very." He kissed me behind the ear, before he whispered, "naughty girl."

He grabbed at my shoulders then raked his nails to my jaw, wrenching my face up to his with unnecessary force. "Do you have anything to say, baby?" He paused, waiting for a response I refused to provide.

I finally relented. "I couldn't watch your people suffer like that! There's plenty of good to go round!"

He bit my lip, forcing me to stop, so I caressed his face, turning the act of aggression into a passionate kiss. Just as he moaned, I pulled away breaking the contact. "I walked past the pantry and found your ridiculous stockpile! How can anybody be going hungry with that surplus?"

Before I could process what was happening, he propelled in front of me. He flung himself onto the couch while pulling me astride him in one fluid motion. "People have to earn their keep here, Princess." The devil's hands clamped onto my hips. "You don't work, you don't eat."

The flame burned in my heart, I pushed his chest trying to shove off him. But his hands stayed firm, locking me into position. I crossed my arms across my chest, the only way to distance myself that was available.

I stared him down, genuinely disappointed. "How can you be so heartless?"

His brow furrowed as he stroked my cheek, the contact surprised me. He placed a chaste kiss on my cheek. "This is the new world order, baby! This is how I keep MY people alive. The rules are what keep us all safe."

As Negan's gloved hand massaged my hip I quivered, then immediately regretted it. I bit my inner cheek then chided him, "or do the rules keep the top on top?"

He pulled my hips down, grinding me into his erection. "Come on baby, you can't tell me you're not enjoying being on top."

My hands lay flat to his chest. "Not at the cost of others."

As soon as I muttered the comment, Negan's eyes glazed over. I had lost the boss. I scrambled to get him back on side, resting my cheek to his, letting out a sultry purr. "I've made you dinner!"

Negan shifted his head and placed a soft kiss on my neck, running surprisingly light sweeps across my ribcage, causing me to shiver.

Stupid traitor body!

Once he got the desired reaction, he finally released me to inspect the contents of the pot. It was so odd to watch a hardened soldier like him pick up something as domestic as a ladle, emptying the contents of it into a bowl. A picture of Negan with a hairnet serving up meals popped into my mind, and I laughed despite myself.

The small outburst was greeted with a look of hostility, teeth bared like a ravenous wolf. "So, how much of MY produce went into this?"

Shit, shit, shit.

I bit my lip, and twirled a strand of my hair. "A lady can't reveal all her secrets."

The devil didn't take his eyes off me, and gave no indication that he had even heard me. He lifted the spoon to his mouth and took a loud slurp, finally breaking eye contact to roll back his eyes.

"Shit woman! This is the bees fucking knees, where'd you learn to cook like that?" When he leant back I sighed, hoping my Nonna's soup had gotten me out of this pickle.

"My Nonna Jean."

Despite the moment, I took a second as a picture of her came to me. I was glad she hadn't lived long enough to see the world go to hell in a hand basket.

The clearing of his throat broke the trance. "Where is she now?"

"Where are most Nonna's?" The laugh that came directly after contained no levity, making my stomach turn.

"Before or after?" The interest he was showing in me felt genuine, I couldn't help but tell.

"Before, of cancer. My brother took it hard."

He nodded once, his eyes revealing his grief. I could tell he'd lost someone the same way, just by the look in his eyes for that split moment. It was the same look my brother had after Nonna was gone.

They take a little piece of you when they leave that's hard to hide.

"Where's your brother?" Negan's attempt at small
talk, although noble, cut me deep.

I didn't talk about my brother. Not since the farm. The wound was too much to rip open, not able to leave myself bare like that for him.

"I, I can't..."

He huffed, looking down at his bowl. "I'm sorry."

Interactions between him had always been strained. But this, it felt like a human connection, kindred in a small but significant way.

How was I relating to him?

But, when the meal finished all had reset. Negan stood up, brushed crumbs off his jacket and headed out the door without a single word.

"Where are you going?" The words tumbled out of my mouth, powerless to stop them.

He paused, not bothering to turn around. "To fuck one of my wives."

The cold response caused a slight twinge in my chest as he exited the room.

I clasped my dress, digging my nails into my thighs.

"Stop being silly, Rackel."