Twelve

Negan's room seemed to shrink before my very eyes, urging me to escape my claustrophobia. I wandered, trying to figure out how to get outside but couldn't, corridor lead into corridor.

Without too much thought I closed my eyes and began walking down the vacant hallway. I shouldn't of been surprised when I bumped into someone; eyes rolling open to an amused Amber.

"Are you OK sweetie?" As her soft gaze looked me over I felt immediately at ease. Something about her aura, the unassuming smile she gave me made me trust her. And I needed to talk to someone.

With a heavy heart, I shook my head, "it's this place! I feel like a fish out of water; what have I gotten myself into?"

The youngest wife's demeanour changed, her shoulders hunched looking from side to side. Her slender fingers grasped my forearm, tugging me backward, "follow me."

Two guards rounded the corner, we hid in the shadow the piping cast. As they passed I whispered, "where are we going?"

Amber whacked her index finger to my lips, shocking me.

Jeez, she must be on edge!

Her towing of me continued, all the way to the basement. The flickering lights illuminated a sign just above the door, "lock up block" it had said. When my startled brain finally connected all the pieces I felt a surge of giddiness radiate through me.

I'm going to see him, my Daryl.

Amber stopped in front of room 101, pulling a large ring of keys out of her small satchel. She unceremoniously flung the door open, lifting her hand to the darkness, "you've got five minutes til change over."

Rushing into the room, I scrunched my eyes in attempts to quicken the adjustment to the lack of light. A grumble came from the corner, eyes locking onto my lover.

"Daryl?"

Kneeling in front of him, I lifted his chin. His usual lively blue eyes had transformed into grey lifeless discs. Daryl was staring into space, teeth gritted as he focused on an indeterminate spot behind me.

"Daryl? It's me!" I tried again, stroking his cheek.

He swatted away my hand, curling tighter into himself, "leave me be, I can' keep pretendin' yer here!" A sniffle escaped him, rubbing at his eyes, "yer drivin' me fuckin' crazy!"

The weight of the guilt ran tiny pins through my heart, clutching at my chest. I'd been on easy street and he'd been subjected to lord knows what.

I persisted, "Daryl baby, it's me! I'm here!" Placing a kiss on his lowered forehead, singing our song, "be not so nervous, be not so frail. Someone watches you, you will not fail..." It had been our song since the prison, something we quoted whenever everything felt bleak, beyond reprieve.

The melody filled the room, his head snapped up and eyes widened. Grabbing my forearms he squished me to his chest, lightly patting me all over to ensure I was actually there.

"I'm here baby, I'm here!" I whispered, kissing him
softly.

As I pulled away he pulled me straight back in, giving me the most dizzying, loving and life altering kiss I had ever experienced. Straddling him, I knitted my fingers in his long locks, salty tears reminding us of the trials and tribulations that lead us to this point.

We both gasped for air, forgetting to breathe in the heat of our passion. Daryl tucked my unruly curls behind my ears, his now glistening eyes locking onto mine, "I can' believe yer here. I've been dreamin' of ye every minute. Are ye sure ye here?" The words came out in a jittery staccato, so unlike him. Whatever they had done to him, had already taken its toll.

He needs to get out of here!

Cupping his face, I pulled him back, trying to keep my voice metered, kissing the tears away. "I know baby, I know. I love you so much!"

Before we could say anything else, Amber barged into the room pulling at my collar. "Wrap it up, Jimmy's due any minute."

I held onto Daryl's filthy sweater, not ready to part from my love. The fact that he needed me and I couldn't was unacceptable; he had saved me and it was my turn to return the favour. I wracked my brain for anything that I could possibly do to help him, and came back frustratingly empty.

Sensing my inner conflict, Daryl gave me a quick peck on the lips and cupped my cheeks. He forced me to look at him, "do what ye can te keep safe. The guards told me what ye did tonight..." he gave me a hooded expression, making me gulp, "no more of this hero crap! I'm gonna come fer ye, I promise!"

He always knew what to say, my angel.

I nodded and couldn't help but share a parting kiss.

Amber and I left the room, she practically dragged me by the back of my dress. I was about to tell her off, but saw Jimmy in my peripheral, realising how close we'd cut it. I felt a bit bratty, she was just trying to help me after all.

After the coast was clear, we walked in silence down the barren corridors. I didn't know what to say, still partially shell shocked by the whole experience.

The willowy blonde stopped in front of a random door. She opened it, "did you want to stay here with me?"

Maybe I do have friends here after all.

Once she realised that I accepted her offer she sat on the edge of the bed and tapped the space beside her.
Springs whined at the weight of both of us on the cheap foldout bed. I nibbled my bottom lip, "why'd you do that for me?"

Amber placed a hand on my back, her voice lowered, "don't lose sight Rackel! Don't get pulled into Negan's bullshit!" Her pretty little nose scrunched up at a particularly unsavoury memory, "I've known him from almost the beginning; he's a wolf in sheep's clothing, plain and simple. Don't lose yourself!"

I heeded her warning, grateful of the risks she'd taken for me, the sacrifices she would've made to be my friend.

"Thank you for doing this for me Amber. It's good to know I've got a couple of friends here I can trust."

We laid down as she patted my back, "of course sweetheart! Now let's get some sleep, big day tomorrow."