Chapter 4

That's right. Their name is as follows:

Keith Wilson. Age eighteen. Black hair and brown eyes. Stern expression. Liked quotations like I did. Also liked classic video games and ramen.

I had actually made a friend. I couldn't believe it myself. Someone pinch me.

I ended up whispering about many quotations. His attitude towards them was surpisingly positive.

   "You know James, a wise man once said: 'Do or do not, there is no try.'" Keith said.

   "Famous last words." I said, remembering Yoda.

   "I'll take them if you want me to." he said. Then he went back to his book. He was apparently reading the same page for the last five minutes. I checked my wach on my right arm (everyone says it's supposed to be on the opposite to your writing arm, but screw them). Five-sixteen. My usual fifteen minute stay was over.

   "Hey, Keith." I said. I stood up.

   "Yeah. What's up?" he asked looking up at me.

   "I gotta go. Five-fifteen. Dinner for me." I said.

   "Understandable. Mine is in an hour." he replied.

   "So peace out. Merry Christmas." I said. It wasn't really Christmas, but to me, it felt like it. Getting that one thing you wanted and asked for all year, or potentially your whole life.

   "Merry Christmas." he replied, smiling. He went back to his book. I picked up mine and turned the corner. Then, I got slammed into by someone.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

   "You really have to watch where you're going." I said. I had survived the impact. The other person apparently had not. It was a girl. Brown ponytail. Brown eyes. Oddly familiar.

   "Sorry." she said. She was on the ground. Books were everywhere, sprawled all over the floor.

   "No problem." I said. I held out my hand to see if she would take it.

   "Thanks." she replied. She took my hand and I pulled her up. Then, I picked up her books and handed them to her.

   "Thank you, umm..." she started. She blushed as she didn't know my name.

   "James. James Ignis." I said, feeling my face getting hot as well.

   "Hello, James. I'm..."

   "Katherine Keene." I finished.

   "How did you..."

   "Notebooks had your name. That's O.K.K with you?" I asked her. O.K.K is like O.K., but with the K.K. standing for Katherine Keene.

   "Sure. Observations." she said. She smiled with a freckle-filled face. She seemed like a nice person. Haven't met one of those in a while. Especially a girl.

   "So, yeah." I said, awkwardly trying to make small talk.

   "Uh-huh." she added. We laughed. I really did like that smile.

   "Alright. This is getting awkward." she muttered. She turned around and began to walk away. I had no idea why. We were having so much fun, being awkward. This seems like some weird love soap opera. We're probably long-lost siblings or something, making matters worse.

   "Wait." I said with courage that I had been building up my whole life. Then, I instantly lost it again when she turned around. It's like a volcano erupted, but went much too fast to completely destroy the city.

   "Is something wrong?" she asked in that tone of voice that makes any weak personalitied guy like me choke up. I could feel the sweat beating down my forehead. Come on, James. You can't do this.

   "Your um...shoe's untied. Left." I stuttered. I pointed to her white Converse. Her zebra implying shoelaces that were an ebony black on her left shoe was untied.

   "Uhh...thanks, James." she said. She stood there for a minute.

   "Aren't you going to tie it?" I asked her. It was like she was tormenting me or something.

   "Later." she answered. What kind of a person ties it later? It's now or never, am I right?

   "But what if you..." I started. Tripped, I thought. Then, I wouldn't forgive myself.

   "I won't James. Don't worry about me." she assured.

   "Are you sure?" I asked.

   "Yes, James. I'm sure." she said. Them she walked away. And I stared the whole time. About two seconds later after she started to walk away, she turned back towards me. My mouth was wide open, but I repositioned myself and closed my mouth. Then I waved. She waved back, took two more steps, and turned the corner. Then, a crash. A crash that echoed throughout the halls and that I instinctively ran towards.