Chapter 31

This is Katherine speaking. Hello? Testing, 1-2-3. Go. Alright we're over and out.

You know it must be bad if James isn't speaking now.

Well, he can't. Why?

He's dead.

Carl Mavis killed him with one shot to the chest. The shot went through his aorta and killed him from blood loss in ten minutes.

I kind of recall it like this.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Smoke lifted from the end of the pistol. Only one shot was fired. Only one was needed.

Adrenaline rushed through my body as James crumpled to the floor. He was still breathing, but I didn't have much time. Rage and fury swept over my very exsistence.

   "That was easy." Carl said. I did what any man would succumb pain to. I gave him a swift kick to the groin.

   "Aw, God! That hurt!" he exclaimed. I kicked his hand and the gun went skittering under my desk.

   "What the heck?!" he cried in pain and anger. I kicked his other hand and his other gun went towards the door out of his reach. Then, I kicked him in the stomach.

   "What was that for?!" he shouted.

   "For killing my friend." I stated sternly. I could feel the fire in my eyes when I looked at him. He was still in pain, but I had to check on James.

   "Ugh." he managed. Red was staining his shirt on his chest.

   "James, it's Kat. You'll be fine. I'm going to get you out of here. You will survive." I reassured.

   "I hope you're right." he said weakly. His crooked smile was him with his eyes half open.

   "James, stay with me."

   "Kat, tell my aunt that I love her."

   "What, why?"

   "Because of the worst case scenario."

   "Which won't happen."

   "Are you sure?"

   "Much."

    "Where's the fire department? The paramedics? The police? Did you even call 9-1-1?"

    "Well, no."

    "I suggest you do that and kick Carl again. He's reaching for his gun."

    "I'm on it." I kicked Carl in the side and he cried out in pain. Then, I took to the phone. I dialed 9-1-1.

    "Hello? 9-1-1, what's your emergency?" the voice asked.

    "Hello? I'm Katherine Keene. And in my dorm room, my friend's been shot by Carl Mavis."

    "Alright, I'll send a team now. Where's your location?"

    "UC Berkeley. Administrative Building. Floor three room three hundred six."

    "Thank you, a team has been dispatched now."

    "Thanks."

    "How's your friend? Is he in critical condition?"

    "Yes, he's been shot in the chest."

    "Alright. Be patient. Paramedics will be there shortly."

    "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!" I cried. I hung up and kicked Carl in the shin. Then, I went over to James. A pool of blood had formed around his body. He seemed to be losing consciousness.

   "Kat...I don't think I'm going to make it." James said.

   "Don't say that James!"

   "I want you to go to my house. In the bookshelf there's a book about Isaac Newton. Get it and use this." He produced a small key from his pocket.

   "What's this for?"

   "You'll see, Kat. You'll see." He started to close his eyes.

   "No, James! Don't leave! I won't lose you! I won't! Never!"

   "Kat, listen to me."

   "Yes, James. Anything. Anything at all."

   "Remember..." he was closing his eyes.

   "Remember what?! Remember what, James?!" I shouted from the top of my lungs.

   "You don't love someone you can live with; you love someone you can't live without." he said. That was his final breath. Then he closed his eyes and the life in it left his body.

    "No!! Nooo! James! Why?! Don't leave! Nooooo!" I shouted. I started to cry on his chest. I had lost yet another friend.

But this friend was much different. This friend loved me. Much more than I thought or had known for too long.