Chapter 22

"I don't understand." she said.

   "Read it aloud. Then maybe you'll understand." I reassured.

   "I understand the note completely." she told me.

   "Then what's wrong?" I asked her.

   "It's just...why?"

   "Why what?"

   "What does it mean?"

   "It means I like you." I answered.

   "Well, I do too, but..."

   "More than that." I told her. I took a deep breath, and spoke. Very calmly, hoping this would end better than the rest of my life has.

   "I'm asking Kat." I said.

   "Asking what?" she asked me.

   "Will you go out with me?" The big question was out. The cat has exited. We have arrived at platform 9¾ (if you get the reference, I applaud you).

   "Umm...I gotta go." she said quickly. She stood up and got her stuff.

   "Thanks for dinner." she finished. She then briskly walked away. The note was still in the box as well as the chocolate. I thought I had it. I thought it would work.

But it didn't. I should've remembered that maybe it'll never happen.

I picked up the note and read it in my mind. I smiled at my wittiness:

I would give you a real one, but it might as well be chocolate.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I haven't seen Katherine for the past two (and much too long (get the pun?)) days. Everywhere I looked, she wasn't there. I checked at every and any given time. But there was no sign of her. It's like she jumped off the edge of the world.

Even if that's impossible since the Earth is an ovaloid.

   "I checked everywhere! The library, the clock tower..." I muttered to myself. Then, I had an idea. There was one place I had not looked. I ran as fast as I could to the Administrative Office. I ran in and tapped the service bell what felt like millions of times.

   "May I help you?" a black lady asked. She seemed perterbed about why intense bell dinging.

   "Can you look up Katherine Keene's room?" I asked. I hope there was no strings attached.

   "Why is that?" she asked. She was making this more difficult than it had to be. I had to think fast.

   "Umm...I have her notebook." I said, spitting out a lame excuse.

   "So just leave it with her teacher." the lady insisted.

   "But there's homework and she needs the notebook." I answered.

   "How do you know that?" she asked.

   "Because I am in her class."

   "So why didn't you just give it to her?"

   "Because I don't know where she is."

   "Alright." she looked at me quizzically. She turned to computer, punched a few keys and looked at the screen intently.

   "Alright. She's in this building third floor room three hundred six."

   "Thank you ma'am."