Chapter 29

"Hurry, James!" Kathrerine shouted. She was a flight of stairs ahead of me.

   "Why couldn't we take the elevator?" I wheezed. I was out of breath.

   "Come on, you big baby! Didn't you see the 'Out of Order' sign?"

   "What 'Out of Order' si—."

   "The one on the elevator door. Now hurry up!"

   "I'm really out of shape." I said to myself. I barely made it up the last flight when I saw Katherine tapping her foot impatiently.

   "Let's go!" she yelled.

   "I'm right behind you." I managed. I needed a glass of water or something.

   "We're here." she said.

   "Thank the lord." I said. I walked into her dorm. Mostly decorated with blue items.

   "What color is this?" I asked pointing at a lamp.

   "Turquoise," she said, "accent six."

   "Really?" I asked. This was either a huge coincidence, or we were made for each other.

   "Yes. About seventy percent of this room is turquoise." she informed. This was great.

   "My place is just like yours." I said.

   "How?"

   "About seventy percent is turquoise," I said, "accent six."

   "That's crazy." she said. We looked into each others eyes for a moment, then turned away out of awkwardness.

   "Ooh, look. Morning newspaper." I said. Like always, same stuff: serial rapist on the prowl, firefighters save dog out of a tree, you get the drill.

   "Have they caught that Cheerios defiler that they've been talkinbg about for a while?" Katherine asked.

   "What?" I asked in confusion. Cheerios defiler?

   "Serial rapist." she said bluntly.

   "I get it cereal rapist. Very funny."

   "Did they capture him?"

   "Says he's 'still on the prowl'." I said in floating quotes.

   "Oh, okay then."

   "So what is it you wanted to show me?" I asked.

   "This." she said. She handed me a picture. It had Katherine and what seemed like to be an exact replica of her. They were in front of the Statue of Liberty, smiling, both with 'I'm with stupid' shirts pointing at each other.

   "Who's that?"

   "My twin sister, Claire."

   "You have a twin?" I couldn't believe it. There was TWO of her?!

   "Uh, yeah, we were separated at the age of five when our parents divorced. Each of our parents got custody of a child." she explained.

   "So, you guys talk and stuff?" I asked.

   "Of course we talk, we're sisters. I have her number memorized. We usually see each other around the holidays. Christmas, Thanksgiving, stuff like that."

   "I see."

   "So, that's it. That's what I had to show you."

   "Great, why?"

   "So you can say hi to her, of course." she said laughing. I really did like that laugh. Suddenly, we heard three knocks on Katherine's door.

   "Administrative Services. Please open up." a voice said.

   "Administrative Services? What could that be?" Katherine asked.

   "Dunno." I said. Katherine opened up the door to a man who I had seen before. One that the whole area of Southern California knows too well.

   "I'm your best nightmare." he said.

   "Don't you mean, worst nightmare?" Katherine asked.

   "No. I definitely mean best nightmare." the man said with a devious smile.