Chapter 9: Family and Fate

"Where have you been?" Xander opened the gate. He crossed his arms and rocked his heels on the ground.

"Ge, I'm sorry," Zach's tiny voice cracked.

"I'm talking to you, Sabrina."

"Cut me some slack, Xander. I feel so tired protecting didi from a gangster," she complained.

"Is it true?" Xander paused to examine Zach.

"Meimei, I told you. He just returned my slipper. He has done nothing wrong," Zach carefully controlled his voice while his face tightened.

"But what was that KISS all about?" Sabrina raised her eyebrows and moved her head from side to side.

"WHAT KISS?" Xander's face pinched, and his vocal pitch rocketed.

Zach's face felt impossibly hot.

"MEIMEI! IT WAS NOT A KISS! I JUST STUMBLED BACK, AND HE CAUGHT ME!"

"Blah! Blah! Blah! Xander, are you planning for us to sleep outside?" She randomly changed the topic.

Xander suppressed his fuming anger. He inhaled sharply and looked at the two latecomers.

"Get inside," his voice threatened violence.

"Thank you, sweet brother." Sabrina blew a flying kiss and went in.

Zach slumped his shoulders and bent his head down as he entered the house.

Xander locked the gate and walked quickly to erase his and Zach's distance.

"Didi, I'm not mad at you. I-I'm just mad at myself for letting you go without me," Xander explained while his voice rose and fell.

Zach stopped and looked at his big brother with bright, glossy eyes. His breathing slowed as he reminisced about how Xander stood still at his side since childhood. He recalled how the bullies tried to pick on someone like his size, but because Xander was always with him, those bullies never stood a chance and veered away every time they encountered them.

I must be able to protect myself also. I want to protect my little siblings like how Xander defended me. I must start by learning not to depend on him too much. Zach decided a part of his fate.

"But Ge! I can protect myself. We're even at the same age. I don't want to bother you anymore," Zach persuaded.

Xander took a deep breath before smiling and patting Zach's head.

"We'll talk later Zachy. Come, help me prepare the food first. Our siblings are starving to death."

While courage still clung to his back, Zach wanted to clarify things at this very moment. However, he knew Xander had a point. He remembered what he heard while Sabrina was talking in her sleep: Fries before guys, foods before dudes.

"Okay." Zach hanged his head.

Xander and Zach entered the kitchen and saw Sabrina running through the things she bought earlier.

"Zach, you won't believe this. Look!" Sabrina's eyes bulged.

She held the egg high like it contained some magical powers.

"You only bought one, earlier right?" Zach stared openly at the egg.

Sabrina's eyebrows danced and the corners of her mouth lifted.

"No way!" Zach jerked his head back. His eyes rapidly blinked as he recalled everything that happened when Sabrina threw the egg earlier.

"How? Did he return it to you before leaving?" Zach scratched his jaw.