Chapter 19: A Promise To Fulfill

"Where is your roo—" With a mouth wide open, Xander nudged the door close after entering Leuther's residence.

For Xander, house was an understatement. It was a mansion with a lounge thrice bigger than the orphanage's living room, kitchen, and toilet combined. His eyes roamed around the glistening marble walls embossed with the mythical Chinese dragon recognizable for its long serpentine body. His shoes smeared the plush velvet carpet covering the entire floor. The brilliant lighting of the chandelier sparkled like diamonds on his blood-stained uniform.

"The third door upstairs after you turn left." Leuther strived to breathe slowly. Every time his chest rose and fell, a sharp pang engulfed his whole body. The effort to restrain his hands from shaking became harder as seconds went by. He tried to loosen all of his tensed muscles and surrendered himself to the man carrying him.

Xander hurried to Leuther's room as furniture and appliances he never saw and couldn't name welcomed his sight. He kept on encountering aliens before his foot landed on the first step of the stairs. What the actual fuck! How huge is this mansion exactly? How many people does it exactly need just to clean it up? Fifteen? Twenty? Damn! He shook his head thinking how much would the owners of this house spend to remove the stains if Leuther's blood did not dry out. He had worried for the driver to call the police after seeing Leuther earlier. However, as what he always believed in, money had solved the problem.

As they arrived at the doorstep, Leuther placed his index finger onto the scanner. The door opened, giving Xander more opportunity to feel the difference between a person born with a silver spoon and a person born without a spoon and fork.

"Xander?" Leuther grew irritated as Xander stood still, mouth agape for the second time.

Xander came to his senses and went inside the room. He was searching for a small bed when to his surprise, a queen-size bed greeted him, lying at the corner near a window. A ray of light slipped through the blue curtains, hitting the plump white pillows. He walked toward the mattress and laid Leuther down. He looked at the man with scrutiny.

The sun was shining on Leuther. In Xander's eyes, he looked like an angel who fell from the depths of hell—a face so serene yet sinister, a hair so sheeny yet dark, a skin so creamy yet bloody.

Leuther stared back. "What are you looking at?" His voice wanted to project hostility, but the vitality draining out from him made it feeble and pathetic. He sighed and forced himself to sit straight, but the sudden pain shooting from his left shoulder caused him to grimace.

"I think you shouldn't move." Xander's gaze pinned Leuther back to the bed.

"I am trying to get the first aid." The sweat sliding down Leuther's forehead, mixed with the dried blood on his chin, formed wine liquid which dripped into the sheet.

"Let me. Where did you put it?"

"Under the bed."

Xander arched his eyebrows. "Not in the bathroom?"

Leuther stayed silent.

Knowing that his classmate would keep his mouth shut, Xander crouched down to find the box. "Your bed has no space below. How would the first aid kit fit here?"

"I mean the second drawer of the bed." Leuther was not in the mood to argue.

"What? Beds have drawers?" Xander squatted and pulled a hollow crevice carved at the side of the bed. "Oh..." He pulled out the kit and sat beside Leuther.

Leuther seized the container from Xander and opened it. He took a roll of sterile gauze, eyeing for an antiseptic. He picked up the bottle of Povidone-iodine, but it was empty. His throat bobbed up and down before he painstakingly lifted the Isopropyl alcohol to wash the wounds.