Chapter 25: The Magic Carpet Ride

"We are here. Get down." Ythan parked his two-wheelers beside a boulder on the cliff. He took his bag and waited for the kitten and puppy to follow him.

With a few things still bothering his mind, Zach nonchalantly rode off the bike. He picked up his sleeping Little D from the basket and woke him up gently by removing his helmet and scratching his flaccid ears.

As soon as the puppy felt Zach's small hands, his eyes shot open. He wagged his tail together with his tongue, and his whiskers seemed to jive along an invisible rhythm. The enthusiasm overflowing from his soul gradually affected Zach.

Ythan shook his head as the scene unfolded in front of him. He plucked Zach's bike and put it beside his own.

Zach was about to express his gratitude when he remembered Ythan's words. Don't feel too grateful if you know you deserve it. He pondered it, reflecting the things the young master had done for him. Do I really deserve Ythan's kindness?

Little D struggled to get down from Zach's grasp. When his pseudo-mother released him, he scooted to his pseudo-father who nestled down on the cliff's eroded portion.

Knowing what his puppy wanted, Ythan acquired Little D's favorite food and fed him. Six beef jerkies magically disappeared on the ground in one minute. "You've developed quite an appetite." He rubbed Little D's belly, eyes searching for the little kitten.

Behind the boulder, Zach was crouching. He shoved ten packs of biscuits down to his throat, as the sound of thunder rumbled in his stomach. He was hiding from the young master's sight, embarrassed of such special talent he and Sabrina cultivated.

However, the crunch Zach produced while chomping the crackers rambled within Ythan's earshot. The young master looked at Zach's delicate back then at Little D's protruding belly. "Now I know where you acquired such appetite." He smirked.

After Zach chugged down a bottle of water, he burped like a mosquito. He sashayed toward Ythan with a renewed spirit and a satisfied tummy.

"I'm ready!" he announced. "What should I do first? The egg, the cube, or the exercises? I think I need to do the egg first. Yesterday was an achievement, right? The egg spun for two seconds, and I managed to hold it for three seconds more. I was able to do twelve squats, eight push-ups, and plank for twenty seconds. And oh gosh, the cube. I don't know what to do with it, but I'll still do my very bes—"

"Stop babbling and sit beside me first," Ythan interrupted with a stoic face. Though inside his heart, he found Zach's stuttering, flustering, and babbling cute and disarming.

"O-okay," Zach stammered after hearing such remark. It pushed Ythan's cold heart to its melting point.

"Zach." Ythan pointed the blue horizons in front of them. "What do you see?"

Zach never noticed it before, but now, he could view it a little clearer.

He squinted, as a thin line separating the sea from the sky appeared in his vision. Five faint colors were curving and hanging on the heaven. The cold air caressed his face, as a whiff of saltwater breezed into his nose. The melody of the waves crashing against the stones slowly washed out his tension. "This place is beautiful." He smiled, indulging himself in this rare scenery.

After a few meaningful moments, Ythan replied, "Yes, it is." He straightened his legs and leaned back on his shoulders. "Take this moment to loosen up. Rest is one activity I forgot to include." He sucked in a breath of fresh air and continued, "It will take place here."

Together with Little D, whose ears flapped along with the wind, Zach closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

He could not remember the last time he was in tune with nature. There was only him, his foster family, Little D, school, and his imaginary world where he could escape—away from his dreadful fate.