Chapter 23: Gauging One's Breaking Point

Renzo's stare darted between the screen on his desk and Sabrina who was reaching for something in a high cupboard. His gaze was stuck at Sabrina's hair, spilling like an ink down to her waist.

He remembered what he had told her when they first met. You're an abstract that only costs ten yuan. As he looked at her now, she might have actually costed more. Eleven yuan, maybe?

"Sabrina, what are you doing?" Renzo was beyond curious.

"I'm trying to get something. Are you blin..." Sabrina's voice faded out. She faced Renzo and smiled. "I'm trying to get the black coffee, Mr. Collins."

Renzo sighed and stood from his swivel chair. He walked toward Sabrina, locking his eyes at hers. "I'll lift you up."

"What?" Sabrina said as her eyes widened. "No!"

"I need my coffee now."

"Well, I need my dignity intact." Sabrina crossed her arms on her chest.

"What's wrong with lifting you up?" Renzo said, raising his eyebrow.

"What's wrong with lifting me up?" Sabrina portrayed a 'you're-unbelievable' look. "Why can't I just stand on the chairs around here, or perhaps the tables?"

"No, no, no, no, no, no," Renzo replied, shaking his head. "You know you can't do that. Do you know how much these furniture cost?"

Sabrina groaned, looking at her surroundings and back at Renzo. "Can you just bend down on the floor? I'll stand on your back."

"What?" Renzo's face pinched as he moved closer to Sabrina. "What did you say?"

Sabrina avoided her leader's penetrating gaze. "Nothing..." As she felt Renzo's eyes pinning her down, she slouched her shoulders. "Fine... Just keep those hands in check."

Renzo smirked. "Consider yourself lucky, young lady. I do not touch dirty things."

Rolling her eyes, Sabrina turned away from Renzo. Yeah, yeah. I bet your dick is clean. She tiptoed on her red stilettos when the man's hands landed on her waist. She burst out a giggle. "Wait. wai—HAHAHAHA." Unable to control herself, she slapped Renzo's hand.

Stifling a smile, Renzo witnessed his assistant's genuine laugh for the first time. He did not know what to feel. It might be a refreshing sight after seeing her ferocity most of the time, but maybe deep inside him, he was secretly enjoying this one-of-a-kind trait.

"Don't do that. I need to prepare myself first mentally." Sabrina recomposed herself.

How would I know? Renzo thought. "Hurry up."

Sabrina faced the cupboard again and took a deep breath. Mrs. Zhang, you're unbelievable. You know that I'm not as tall as you. You should've put the coffee within my reach. Being ready the second time around, Sabrina was able to bear the excitement on her sides and grabbed a jar as Renzo heaved her upward. She suppressed a laugh. "Thanks."

"You're welcome, your majesty." Renzo bowed and walked back to his desk, rolling his eyes. He focused his attention back at his Renzotop—a laptop he had built after Techne dumped him to charge a few days ago—and continued studying the information he was receiving from the watches Sabrina had finished distributing yesterday.

Serotonin at 150 ng/mL, normal. Dopamine at 20 pg/mL, normal. Adrenaline at 70 pg/mL, normal. Renzo's gaze moved along the screen. Normal... Normal... Boring... Nothing peculiar... Oh, seems like someone's having a bad day. Serotonin levels below average. He blinked a few times and resumed scrutinizing the data. Good... Good... Adrenaline at 280 pg/mL? Seems like that hamster got some competition.