Chapter 15: Firsts

Liam laid in the floor of the drunk tank, inebriated, sleepy, and feeling a muscle strain in his neck. No matter how hard he tried to smooth the kink out, he just couldn't.

"Fuck, I think I have whiplash!" He laughed like a madman in his drunken state. "But maybe that little yoga punk...oh shit, did I do that on purpose? Or was it an accident? Fuck if I know!"

Ed walked in the room. Ed used his keys to unlock the tank, pulling Liam to his feet and dragging his uncoordinated body to the interrogation room.

"State your full name for the record," Niall demanded.

"Liam Fucking James Payne."

Before Ed could continue, Niall came with Zayn, sitting him down opposite side of Liam. "State your full name for the record."

"Zayn Javadd Malik."

"On the night of October 13, 2018 (??), at approximately 7:00 p.m., you were at Liam's place of employment. Is this correct?"

"Yes," Zayn numbly stated.

"And do you recount smelling alcohol on his breath?"

"Yes..." Zayn could feel tears forming out of guilt. He took one look at Liam and tried to jump over the table, in an attempt to be aggressive. "You could've killed him, Liam! You could've killed him!"

Ed and Niall restrained Zayn, giving him a warning that the next violent outburst would result in him getting charges of assault. "Sorry," Zayn snapped. "I'll never forgive you."

"Back to the interview gentlemen," Niall tried to redirect the conversation. "Liam, did you intentionally ram your Volkswagen into Louis' truck?"

Liam looked down at his handcuffs, his eyes glazed over and his stomach bloated. Even in his drunken state, he could tell whatever answer he gave would damn him - either lying to a police officer or harmful acts with intent. Either way, he was screwed.

"I'm sorry," He looked at the floor. "Emotion got the best of me."

"I. Hate. You!" Zayn spat as he pushed out his car and exited the room. Ed made sure Liam stayed put as Niall chased after him.

"I want to go back to the hospital," Zayn cried. "I can't look at him. Louis needs me. I'm his emergency contact."

"Well, I may need to reach you in the future, but I'll let you go on the technicality that you are his emergency contact," Niall patted his shoulder. "And for the record, you and Louis have made quite a shitstorm, haven't you? My best-friend is ripping at the seams and Liam is hurting too...I just wonder if you two are so happy with each other, why do you even need these other two people around?" He shrugged and left.

Zayn rolled his eyes at the statement. How dare someone judge what they don't know.

*****

"Honestly, Mitch," Harry said taking a hit. "Thanks so much for hooking me up tonight. I know I said I wouldn't hit you up anymore.... and I meant it. I'm done dealing... but I still need a little green for myself sometimes."

Mitch nodded, stroking his mustache before he inhaled.

"I feel that, Harry, I really do," he said. "What has you down though? Don't seem yourself these days."

They were sitting on the couch of Mitch's basement, listening to music. Some oldies. The kinds of songs that had minute long guitar solos. It was what Mitch liked, and what Harry grew to like as well after spending many nights down here to pick up his product.

"A guy has me fucked up. He said he felt something for me. Couldn't promise monogamy though. I mean that right there tells me he's a player. But I'm so dumb that I thought we had something. The way he looked at me, the way he held my hand," Harry said, folding his hands behind his head. "He just got me, you know? On our second date I had a panic attack in front of him and he took me home to watch Netflix and cuddle. But the next thing I know I find out he's sleeping with his coworker. We move past it, we make up. But then he's ditching me for his coworker again. He just got into a car accident and get this - his coworker is in the bed with him. Ends up giving him a fucking blowjob in the hospital."