Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

It was a regular Friday night in Texas at a high school football game. The stands were packed with the school's colors; fans were screaming for their team while others were stuffing their face with the concession stand food. The game hadn't even begun yet but the cheerleaders were already trying their best to get the crowd hyped up. I ignored all of this and focused on my honor guard team. We had practiced a few times and I felt we were prepared enough to present the colors during the national anthem.

"Spears, it's time to line up," Chief Davis instructed me. I gave him a sharp nod and yelled at the rest of my cadets to form up since Michael was already by my side. We marched down to stand in front of the field post, waiting for the announcer to give us the cue to go.

"Please rise...."

"Color guard, attention! Carry colors!" My voice carried over my team and in sync we brought the flags and rifles to their positions. I didn't waste any time before directing my team to march to the center of the field and present the colors to the crowd. The stadium was completely silent as the choir sang the national anthem, every person having their hand resting over their heart. I let my eyes wonder over the crowd, trying to see people I knew. The other ROTC cadets sat at the very top of the stands by the band while the rest of the school body, mostly the popular kids, sat at the bottom of the stands. I managed to find Jake in the popular crowd with his girlfriend right by his side. I didn't let that affect me and continued scanning the crowd until my eyes landed on Henry and David. I had to stop myself from scrunching my eyebrows together as I tried to figure out why the fuck they were at a football game. These were the bad boys; they didn't go to football games. I could only assume that Jaxson was somewhere in the crowd, which would be the only explanation as to why his best friends were there. The only question was why would Jaxson be at a high school football game? That didn't seem like it would be part of his reputation.

The choir ended and I quickly got my team off the field so the game could begin. I rushed us to get the gear in Chief's car and hurry up and change so I could try to figure out why Jaxson was at the game. He had to of been there for me, right? I stole his sport bike and I had never seen him at any sporting events before. Whatever the reason was it was officially my goal to find out.

"Whoa, what's the rush for?" Michael asked as I literally forced myself through a group of middle schoolers. I came to a stop when I realized I couldn't confront Jaxson with Michael by my side. Michael would start asking questions and there was only so much I could keep from him. He was my best friend; he knew me better than I knew myself sometimes so he would definitely know if I was lying to him or not. The only reason why I got away with so much was because I would give him parts of the truth. I had no clue what I would say if I did confront Jaxson in front of Michael. Oh yeah, I had sex with Jaxson Knight and then stole his motorcycle. That definitely would not go down well.

"Just thought I saw someone I knew," That wasn't a complete lie. While I didn't see Jaxson himself, I saw his best friends which was almost the same as seeing the Knight himself.

I changed my route and speed and we made our way to where the other cadets were sitting at the top of the stands. The game had already started and of course almost no one up there cared enough to pay attention to it. At that point I knew I wouldn't even be able to pay attention since my mind was trying to figure out where Jaxson was. I'd just have to slip away in the hopes I could find him and demand answers.

I finally got my chance to slip away during halftime when Michael and I were starting to get hungry. With the promise of returning with food, Michael innocently waited for me while I made my way down the stands and towards the concessions. Of course everyone had the same plan as me and there was a long ass line at each booth. I let out a groan but forced myself to stay in one line as I constantly looked at the people in the general area. No one matched the description of a hot attractive bad boy with stormy grey eyes who most likely wore a stellar leather jacket. Shit, I was still referring to him as being hot. Who was I kidding? He was fucking attractive. Way better than Jake will ever be, except he's a Knight. Why did I have bad luck with guys?