Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

I was alive. At least I think I was alive. I was standing on the side of the road, amazingly unscratched, as cars flew by as if I didn't just crash on Jaxson's sport bike. No one seemed to care, except to slow down and move over so they wouldn't hit the bike that laid in the right lane. The only one that cared enough to stop was Jaxson, who was currently trying to get the bike out of the middle of the road. Part of me told me that I should probably help him, seeing as the crash was my own fault, but I couldn't move. In all reality I wanted to lay down and cry my eyes out while stuffing my face full of ice cream and chocolate. The only problem was that I wasn't sure if I wanted to cry because I was alive or because I failed at killing myself. Was I happy I was alive? I felt absolutely nothing at that point. The only thing I felt was utter exhaustion.

"Are you purposely trying to get yourself killed?" Jaxson yelled once he got the bike off the road. Since he took my helmet off when he first got to me, he was able to see the shame in my face as I looked away from him, telling him everything without actually saying a word. The look on his face when he realized the truth was heartbreaking.

"I got kicked out of ROTC today and my best friend refuses to acknowledge my existence with the news of us dating," I told him, my voice soft and emotionless. I couldn't look him in the eyes, suddenly feeling ashamed of what I did. People had it a lot worse than me and here I was trying to kill myself because my best friend was mad at me and I got kicked out of a high school elective. Neither one of those things were the end of the world and I probably looked stupid to Jaxson by getting all emotional over it. He probably thought I was an attention seeker.

The roar of an engine hit my ears and I turned my head to see a Charger pull up behind Jaxson's Corvette. David and Henry hopped out and hurried over to us. Henry's face was caked with worried while David's face stayed emotionless, but even he couldn't hide the concern shining in his eyes. Seeing how concerned they were over my safety made me stop and think. If three people I had just met cared about my wellbeing, that only met that my friends and family cared about it also. That meant they would be devastated if I killed myself, right?

"Is everyone okay?" Henry asked once they made it over to where I was standing. He glanced over at me for a second before turning his attention to Jaxson.

"Yes, everyone's fine. Take care of my bike for me while I take Lily home," Jaxson told them. The two bad boys were quick to give him a nod before making their way over to the probably now fucked up bike. Jaxson didn't even have to say anything to me while he walked over to his car. I reluctantly followed him and slid into his passenger seat. Jaxson didn't waste any time as soon as I closed the door; he started the car, threw it into gear and cut off a car while speeding off. After passing two exits, I realized that Jaxson lied and wasn't actually taking me home since we were heading in the opposite direction of our Texas town. I didn't care to question where he was taking me since it was only about 2:30 in the afternoon and I knew he wasn't going to kill me. So instead of bombarding him with him with questions, we sat in silence as he flew past people on the toll road.

I wasn't sure how long we were driving for, but eventually we arrived at a makeshift parking lot that was basically dirt, gravel, and grass. Jaxson parked away from other people, but not that far away, before turning the car off and getting out. As I got out I was still trying to figure out where we were out. I didn't recognize the place and I couldn't see why there were a ton of cars in one gravel parking lot. The sound of laughter, screams, and conversation reached my ears and I was surrounded by the smells of different foods. I couldn't help the smile that made its way onto my face as my eyes finally landed on the gates to a fair. I wasn't sure what town we were in or what fair this was, but it was a fair nonetheless.