07: putting men in their places

Chapter 07: putting men in their places.

Elena

I pulled the apron off my head, folded it, and placed it in the drawer under the washing counter. The afternoon setting sun turned my entire kitchen orange and bright. I spent every evening of the last six days helping dad conduct a sponsored health check-up in an old-age home located at the South boundary. This Saturday afternoon, I've finally finished my responsibilities, including cleaning the house. I have a lazy evening planned with Spencer. 

Dad and Dylan have gone to apply for Dylan's dorm room from the Cadford hospital. Dad said he could get Dylan the best of the rooms through his connections with doctors and professors at Morbridge. 

My black shorts are turning grey and choosing to wear a white t-shirt on the day of cleaning was pretty dumb of me. I decide to shower before Spencer catches me reeking. I'm about to run up the stairs when I hear someone unlock the door from outside. 

I see the lock on the door open. I grip the railing until my knuckles turn pale. 

That is impossible. Dad and Dylan won't return until evening. If there was a change of plans either of them would have called me. Spencer doesn't have a key to my house. Who other than dad or Dylan has the audacity to use a key for entering our house instead of ringing the doorbell like normal human beings? What if I was already in the shower and this happened? What if we had a home invasion and I had no clue because I was showering at the time?

The doorknob turned and the door burst open. Whiskey eyes did a double take on me. 

"Jesus Christ," I let out a lungful of breath as I hold my chest and sit on the stair I'm frozen in. 

Justin shivered when I yelled but his gaze slowly settled on my presence on the staircase. He closed his eyes in regret. "Fuck, I forgot you live here now." 

"Why do you have a key to our house?" I stand up, feeling uneasy and uncomfortable at this break entering. 

His face showed no emotion. "Ask Dylan."

Rude. 

This is completely Dylan's lookout but I am going to make sure he knows how bitter this encounter was. If he's given our house keys to more of his friends, he should have the civility to let me know. Just side stepped from the door and let it shut behind him. 

"I didn't say you could come in," I tightened my grip on the railing. 

"I need to email a file to Dylan from his laptop." Justin walks inside and nears the staircase. 

I climb steps up to put distance between us even though I want to stand my stance and seem strong. His eyes fall down my outfit and the length of my bare legs before he looks into my eyes. Shit, I'm wearing dirty clothes. This is just too awkward. 

"He would've told me if there was any such need." I block the staircase. 

Justin rolls his eyes. "You're wasting my time. I'll be out in five." 

I frown when he takes the first step up the staircase. "I already know the password to his laptop. Why didn't he ask me to do it?"

Justin's eyes do a double take on me when I mention the word 'password'. He groans to hide that look on his face. "Ask him yourself, I'm not your fucking messenger."  

I take the remaining steps upwards and reach the top of the stairs. I maintain two arms' distance as I guide him to Dylan's room. He already knew which one it was but I shadowed his steps anyway. 

He entered Dylan's room like he owned the place. He pulled out my brother's laptop from his closet and set it up on the desk. He opened the second drawer on the desk and took out a blue Pendrive. He pulled the chair and dropped on it, blocking my view of the screen. His back muscles tensed and released as he typed on the keyboard with barbaric speed.