34: the stone castle

Chapter 34: the stone castle

Elena

My father watches me from my doorway as I zip my bag shut. We're way past his behavioral lectures, health cautions, speed dial swears, and affirmations. He walks in with his hands behind his back and sits on the foot of my bed. He gapes at me with a worried smile.  

"Three days, dad. It's a short stretch. I'll be back before you know it." I plop beside him on the bed. 

He pats my head before his palms pat my cheeks. "In my experience, three days can stretch as long as an eternity." I don't have words to comfort his feeling anymore. The longest I've been away from my father is 36 hours. "Forgive me for my pessimism. This might cheer you up." 

He pulls a jewelry box from behind him and hands it over to me. I open it with dither. Rich emerald stones shine back at me. The pendant necklace is in the shape of a butterfly, matching the ring on my finger. The earrings are butterflies too. But the ends droop low, giving the whole set an edge. Just perfect to go with the green silk dress I bought two days ago. 

"Mom's?" I ask tearing up as he nods. I knew the ring belonged to a set. I close the box as I turn to him. "It's too precious, dad. What if I spoil it?" 

He beams as he flattens my hair. "Then we'll buy a new one." He grazes against the butterfly etched on the top of the box. It's been so many years but the box doesn't look a day old. "Send me all the pictures. Convey my wishes to Katie Raine." I assure him I will. 

He stands up as I pack the box carefully inside my bag. I want to ask him so many things for the last two days. I want to ask him how he got Justin that pocket watch. I wanted to know how my father knew that gift would do the trick. I wanted to ask him why he told Dylan about Caleb but nothing about Justin. I wanted to know what happened with Cece and why he gave me the butterfly ring so many years before he revealed the whole set. But all of this could wait. 

"Is it wrong that a part of me is relieved you're not going with either Justin or Caleb?" He asks as he picks up my bag. 

I laugh. "Well, that'd make two of us." 

I walk down and my father follows me. I'm scowling by the time I reach the foot of the stairs when I see Ace swinging his legs from sitting on top of our dining table. With all my force I yank him off the surface. 

"I'll take that, doc," he tells my father as he takes my bag. 

"Careful. That bag contains delicate treasure." I say and Ace carefully holds my bag like a baby. I give him an approving grin. He is human. 

"Ace, you know the rules," My father ruffles his hair the way he used to do when we were kids. Ace brushes it away but not once had I heard him complaining. "Anything goes wrong, call me and not Dylan, please." 

Ace bites the inside of his cheeks as he side nods. "Don't worry, doc. I got everything handled. Dylan's a brother, so--"

"Then that would make me your sister too?" I intervene at that statement. 

He scrunches his nose. "Kinda." 

I don't know what kind of scowl this statement should receive. Not only is it disgusting because he's taking me as his "date" to the wedding, but it's terrible because Justin's his real brother and if I'm a sister to Ace, I'm technically a sister to Justin--EW!

I smack his arm. "You use that line one more time, so help me, Dempsey, I will walk back home."

Both he and my father burst out laughing as they load his iridium-colored Lexus. I miss the black Maserati as I buckle inside his car. I inhale anticipating leather and spices but my nose crinkle as I smell citrus fruits and nylon.