60: no foot in the grave

Chapter 60: no foot in the grave

Elena 

Something had changed. Ever since Christmas, something had changed. I steal a glance at him from the corner of my eyes. He's composed, chirpy, and acting corny. Plus this time, he isn't even drunk. Sober Justin has his humanity back on. 

"What's with all the kindness?" I ask him when he hands me a snickers bar. I take it, but I examine it well to make sure it isn't laced. 

"It's not poisoned." He states. I believe him and tear open the wrapper. "Just offering something sweet before all the bitter I'm about to spill." 

I halt before biting on the snickers. "What did you do now?" 

He cuts a glance in my direction, slightly disappointed at how quickly I reached a conclusion that he might have snafued. But given the history, he drops the hurt. And I resume my bite of the chocolate bar. 

I'm almost past halfway of eating snickers when I catch him helming the steering wheel with the pad of his palm in one hand. My heart flutters more when he steers it back, casually letting the veins on his arms pop through the flex. 

He catches me smirking. "Stop the car," I say immediately. 

"Why?" 

"Stop the car, Justin." 

Five seconds later, we're pulling up near the sidewalk of a dark and empty road. I unbuckle my belt and before he voices out his confusion, I pull the collar of his shirt and unite our lips. I feel his whole body tense underneath my touch but the second I feel his lips move, his stance melts. His hand grips the back of my head as he slowly directs control from me to himself. His lips move, but with composure and calmness. 

He isn't hopeful or optimistic about the kiss; he is sure. I can feel the certainty exuberating from him. He is so sure of what he's doing, it makes him twice the times sexier. I lightly push his chest and lean away, tucking my hair. 

I hide my smirk and buckle myself, as casually as before. "We're good," I assure him when he's staring at me completely happy yet entirely clueless at the same time.

He licks his lips, shakes his head, and smirks at the empty road before reverting back to the road. We drive in silent smiles until I see him halting the car right in front of the cemetery.

He really brought me to the cemetery? 

"Of all the places you could take me to--" I give him a disapproving stare as we get off his car. 

"You're doing that thing where you jump to conclusions again." He locks his car and joins me near the entrance. "Didn't you get over that habit?" 

"No, Justin. I can't get over some things. Like you, even that habit is my Achilles heel." I walk right into the cemetery without waiting for his glare. 

My frustration is put to a halt when I take in the graveyard ahead of me. I feel his footsteps near my statued figure. My mouth falls open when I notice every gravestone in the burial place isn't just grey stones today. Every gravestone has a white balloon taped to its back. The cemetery looks less cinereal and more like a field of balloons brightening up the dark arena. 

"Did you do this?" I glance at him but my eyes go back to the graveyard looking not so scary anymore. 

He scoffs. "Pft, no. All the dead people just waltzed out of their graves, tied up balloons to their headstones, and scattered white roses around. Didn't you know it was a ghostly tradition in this town? Dead town party." 

My amusement is sucked right out of my heart with his sarcasm. "You're so charming until you open your mouth." 

He gives my forehead a short kiss. "Then you better find ways to keep my mouth shut." He winked before taking my hand. "Come on, the ghosts and I both have unfinished business tonight." His chuckle to my annoyance frustrates me even more but he guides me into the already memorized path in my head.