Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Trying to ignore me does no amount of good for you, Little One." Jene sounded amused as I stormed out of the building to my car.

"Stop calling me that! My name is Isla." I grouched as I glared at him.

His face blanched, paled, and he averted his gaze from mine before gulping, "I cannot call you that name." He eventually admitted.

"Why not?" I exclaimed.

Now he appeared sick, as in that caramel skin had a greenish tinge. He shook his head, wrinkled his nose and stepped away. I'd never seen anyone so perturbed, lost, sad and terrified all at the same time. In the short time I'd known him, this was his first ever show of uncertainty.

"You need to tell me why you can't call me by my name." I persisted, which made him twitch and shiver in the strangest manner.

"I cannot." He choked in a breath, as if someone held his head under the water and he had trouble catching a breath.

"I don't want you calling me little one. It sounds patronising." I crossed my arms and stood my ground.

"Do you go by any other name?"

"No, do you?" I threw the question back at him.

"As a genie who has survived many centuries, I can attest that, yes, I do have many names. I simply prefer the name Jene. Please offer me your full name so I may find a suitable replacement."

"Fine, my name's Isla," he flinched the moment I spoke my name. "Rose Martin."

A giant sigh escaped him. He relaxed with a huge, dazzling smile beaming onto his face. That smile made my stomach twist, and something deep inside of me moved in the most delightful way.

"Excellent, I shall call you Rose." He declared, while I remained dumbfounded by that smile of his.

When his words finally sank in, I scowled up a storm at him, "I don't like the name Rose. There's nothing more irritating than when someone calls me Rose." I eventually snapped out of his trance to say.

"It is another name you use, so why ever not?" confusion filled his features as he remained baffled by my refusal.

"No, it's my middle name, and I don't like my middle name." I protested.

"It is a lovely name, Rose. The sweetest smelling flower for such a beautiful woman. It is quite a complimentary name." Jene tried to talk me into it, but I firmly shook my head.

"No, I wished you'd keep on calling me little one, rather than that name." I drawled the words sarcastically.

"As you wish it to be!" Jene made a decisive nod of his head seeming far too pleased with himself.

"Get in the car, Jene. If I'm stuck with you for the whole of the summer, then I'd rather get it over and done with." I waved him towards my car as I continued walking towards it.

"You are quite demanding, Little One." That managed to amuse him.

"Are you sticking with calling me little one?" I grouched.

"You wished for such an occurrence, therefore, I obeyed your command." He bowed to me, and I stared at him for a long moment.

"How can you give out wishes if you lamp's trapped in my stepbrothers hands?" I couldn't help but ask.

"A genie has his own magic. That in turn gives us the required skill to keep our lamps under control. My magic has only a tiny portion when compared to what the lamp offers the world." Jene explained.