Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Mum didn't give us a single second to enjoy the euphoria from the Genie-Us ritual. She had us shuffled to her private rooms before I knew what had happened.

"Oh, how the Gods have blessed you." Mum gushed as she hugged me tightly.

"Apparently, it wasn't them." I said dryly and mum stared at me with a frown.

"That's makes no sense, Isla. The Gods are the ones who give us everything, and they would've given you your child." Mum insisted, her frown only deepening when I shook my head.

"The Gods just told me that my child's stubbornness is the only reason I'm pregnant. They had nothing to do with it." I told her and I've never seen anyone look so astounded.

"That's unexpected."

"Yes, quite surprising." Jene agreed with a nod.

"I guess it doesn't matter if the Gods were involved or not. You're still going to have a baby and I'm a grandma!" Mum clapped her hands together enthusiastically.

"Don't forget that you're already a grandma to Mitch." I pointed out.

We pretended that my mother was Jene's mother, so that she could also be in Mitch's life. She now spent a lot of time on earth spoiling him, and trying to bring him out of his shell. He now had people who loved him, but Mitch was still adjusting to his situation.

"I haven't forgotten my adorable grandson." Mum chided me.

"I know that."

"Are you doing anything for the rest of the day, She-Gen?" Jene asked.

"You're going to have to get used to calling me mum, especially on earth where they all think you're my son," it was mum's turn to now chide Jene, who said nothing. "All I intend to do today is cheer about having another grand baby. Why do you ask?" Mum replied when Jene didn't respond to her gentle teasing.

"Perhaps we can go and celebrate our upcoming arrival with the rest of Isla's family, as they do not yet know." Jene suggested and I nodded my head in agreement.

"That's a great idea." I enthused as I squeezed Jene's hand.

"I'm there!" Mum agreed wholeheartedly.

"You can't tell anyone you know about the baby. I don't want to spoil the surprise for everyone else. If dad and Bev thought we told you first it would upset them." I told mum.

"You've seen me in there," Mum huffed and tossed a hand towards the throne room. "I'm always selective and aloof." She declared.

"This is way different. You consider my family your family and you're really open with them. Don't give the surprise away." I spoke the last sentence slowly so she understood me.

"Fine, hon, stop panicking." Mum flapped her arms at me and gave me an unconcerned look.

"Alright, lets go home and gather up the family." I ordered.

We were at home long before I'd prepared myself for what my family might have to say about my pregnancy. I didn't know why I worried over it so much when we'd brought Mitch home without warning and everyone adored him. Admittedly, I was a little concerned about Mitch's reaction, especially with what the Gods had suggested. I didn't want him to feel as if we were somehow replacing him.

Jene used the lamp to bring everyone together, which he often did when we had important things to discuss. My family never knew or even noticed that they appeared at our house without previous notice. Candy often smirked at me and raised her brows, but she knew our secret and had no trouble keeping it.