28. SOMETHING GOES WRONG

Inside the Red Jade Palace, Wan Huang's eyes were closed in meditation, while her hands moved, conjuring up flames in different forms.

The flames shined more intensely with each passing second, trying to burst out of its boundaries.

Beads of sweat rolled down from her forehead, thoroughly soaking her clothes.

Minutes and hours passed by.

BOOM.

With a deafening sound, the flames on her hand exploded. It then fell into her palms like scattered stars.

Wan Huang now was on the third level of her fire element attribute. Her eyes opened in satisfaction.

She conjured up the fire element on her palms, which first formed a fire ball, then changed into thin strands that danced upon her fingers and finally assumed the form of twinkling stars, with five sharp points upon her palm.

Wan Huang was quite surprised. What she didn't notice was that, her fire element changed into different forms, even without her command.

Xiufeng saw this and ran out anxiously.

"Whenever you are trying to change your techniques from one form or method to another, you should always say it out loud. Do you understand?"

Wan Huang was taken aback by his anxious look.

"Why are you so anxious? What's wrong?". She questioned him back.

"Did you hear what I said?". His voice became urgent.

"Okay. I get it. I will speak out loud. Fine!". Getting her promise, he returned to his place.

Wan Huang stood there puzzled for a moment. Just what did she do that made him so frightened? She couldn't think of anything. Realizing she was abandoned by him again, she left the Red Jade palace.

Yesterday, she promised Ren Weilin they would have a friendly match today. She prepared herself and left the room.

From morning, her right eyelids were twitching so badly as if to warn her of something. She also felt something wrong, like she was losing control of her body. She dismissed it as fatigue from overworking these days.

There were five battle arenas in the outer sect. Disciples who wanted to exchange blows with each other could enter these arenas. These arenas also hosted the training exams and tournaments in the outer sect.

Wan Huang reached the arena which she decided with Ren Weilin. There was already a battle going on, on it. Many disciples, those from senior years and new batch stood around either to exchange pointers or to watch the fun.

Ren Weilin saw Wan Huang, took her hand and led her to join the crowd.

"Li Huang, after two more matches, it will be our turn. Since we are exchanging blows to learn from each other, please go easy on me". Wan Huang nodded at Ren Weilin's gentle smile and speech.

As their turn approached, Wan Huang and Ren Weilin stepped into the arena. Only about a quarter of an hour was allowed for each team. The one who steps out of the arena first would lose.

Greeting each other, both girls got into their position and began sparring. Wan Fang and Yun Shan were also present among the spectators.

Their sparring progressed smoothly, giving each other a chance to attack and defend. There were also some junior masters who stood in the vicinity, monitoring each and every sparring team.

Friendly matches like these was a great way to evaluate one's perfomance and progress every month. The disciples got to know their strong and weak points while the masters got to see their growth.

Everything progressed smoothly.

The junior masters on the side felt something strange. Wan Huang who was going easy on Ren Weilin, now changed her strategy. From smoothly exchanging blows, she went to aggressive attacks. Not giving her partner a chance to defend, her attacks turned vicious.

Ren Weilin was startled. Confusedly she looked at Wan Huang. She didn't have time to ask Wan Huang what was wrong before attacks showered upon her.

The crowd saw the situation turning grave. They gasped and looked on in fear.

Wan Huang could feel something wrong with her body. Against Ren Weilin's defence, Wan Huang's body reacted aggressively. She tried to control herself but her body disobeyed her commands. She felt as if her body was like a puppet being controlled by strings, at the hands of another person.

Xiufeng also noticed her predicament. He tried his best to salvage the situation and tried every methods but failed in controlling the situation and getting a grasp on what went wrong.

By the time, Wan Huang's attacks turned merciless. Their allowed time was coming to an end. Wan Huang quickly wanted to finish this and check out what was wrong.

As she gave out the last attack, she could feel her body returning under her control at the same time.

She heard the gasping sounds and murmurs around her. She looked up and saw everyone looking at her, disdain written on their face. She then saw Ren Weilin, down the arena in blood soaked robes.

Ren Weilin was injured as she was stabbed by Wan Huang. At the critical point, Ren Weilin shifted her body to avoid Wan Huang's attack and was stabbed on her left shoulder, otherwise she would have been stabbed in the heart.

Junior master Hua, who was watching from the sidelines, jumped into action and immediately treated Ren Weilin's injury, while the other masters stood around Wan Huang, detaining her.

Wan Huang was totally confused. What was happening here? How did she stab Ren Weilin?

Everyone pointed their fingers at Wan Huang and blamed her. Wan Fang broke through the crowd, and came near Wan Huang.

"Li Huang, are you okay?".

Wan Fang could feel something was wrong with Wan Huang when the battle started but could not point it out. She, also saw Wan Huang trying her best to hold back and deflect the attacks.

Murmers and blame rose around Wan Huang. She was now detained by the masters and led to recieve disciplinary actions.

After half an hour, Ren Weilin also entered the room, supported by Yun Shan, after getting her wounds treated.

Inside the room, Wan Huang, Ren Weilin, Yun Shan, a senior disciple and three senior masters from apothecary, sword faction and external affairs section and two junior master were present.

Wan Huang was told to kneel while Ren Weilin stood weakly behind her with Yun Shan holding and supporting her.