37. TO LAVA VALLEY

Wan Huang took three missions, out of which two were of hard level difficulty for profound Earth level cultivators and the third one was of intermediate difficulty for profound Sky level cultivators.

The first two missions she took for Yaoyao. Even if it's difficult for that girl, with her around she was sure to protect Yaoyao. The third mission was for herself to complete.

Wan Fang joining was an unexpected bonus for her at the same time her work doubled.

The first mission was to collect two medicinal herbs-the Devil's saffron and Crawling morel.

These two were vital ingredients in the refining of grandmaster level bone cleansing pills.

As high their importance was, it was all the more dangerous get them.

The Devil's saffron was guarded by advanced earth level beasts- the Sun snake while Crawling morel was guarded by advanced earth level monster ladybugs.

These herbs grew in steep slopes of mountains that had a tropical climate all over the year.

After inquiring and verifying, she narrowed the location to Zhimeng mountains that bordered the infamous Zhimeng night market.

Two weeks of travel never exhausted their zeal, as they ascended the steep slopes of the mountain. They came across many small fries which all scattered away due to the imposing aura they emitted.

Climbing at day and resting at night, they finally reached an area where the temperature was several degrees higher than the areas they crossed before.

A bit further ahead they could hear hissing and slithering sounds that made one's skin crawl. Cautioning Wan Fang and Yaoyao, she took out her sword and carefully crept towards the site.

They came across a swarm of snakes. Snakes, in bright orange colour, and yellowish-green eyes slithering over one other. This sight made the trio nauseous.

The sun snakes were named because of their colour and their ability to spit poisonous fire that could burn a living person into ashes in a matter of few seconds.

They were short and extremely fast, catching their preys off guard.

Wan Huang came with ample preparations thanks to little Xiufeng's words of wisdom.

The snakes sensed intruders and began attacking furiously.

Knowing Wan Huang was the strongest in the lot, they avoided her and picked on Wan Fang and Yaoyao.

With both of them battling against the swarm, Wan Huang took on the sneaky ones eliminating two to three per attack.

Thanks to Wan Huang's warnings and reminders, both Wan Fang and Yaoyao avoided getting poisoned.

The fight went on for three days with the majority of the swarm eliminated and the rest slithered away to preserve their lives.

With the beasts' defence cleared, they had free access to the patch of medicinal herbs.

They were allotted to extract 100 stalks of the herb, while a whole garden lay before them. Wan Huang collected the required number of stalks and plucked some more to grow inside her Red Jade palace. It will come handy one day.

Temporarily treating their injuries and recuperating for a day, they left for the second peak to collect the second herb.

They also took with them the demonic beast core of the dead snakes and their skin. The core was good for earth level cultivators but as Wan Huang didn't need it, she gave them to Wan Fang and Yaoyao to improve their cultivation.

The snake's hide was impervious to poisons so she planned to make a soft armour from it.

Two days later, they reached the second peak where the herb crawling morel grew.

Each patch of the herb was protected by advanced earth level monster ladybug. Named monster for its size, the insect and the herb had a symbiotic relationship.

The bugs feed on the nectar of its flower while acting as agents for its pollination.

Plucking the herbs is same as cutting its lifeline, so one could imagine how difficult this task could be.

***

Five days later, the trio left the mountains to their second location.

They were not bloodthirsty heroes, so they just eliminated enough number of bugs to get the required number of herbs. Well, it will remain a secret that Wan Huang subdued an extra two just to plant them inside her palace. As long as their resource is not plundered they were gentle creatures staying away from violence.

A month's travel took them to the obsidian valley. Located between Ghost mountains and Dongcheng province it housed the largest mining land for obsidian ore.

Their mission was to obtain two kilograms of obsidian especially the snowflake variety. The mining of snowflake obsidian was difficult as it was located in the area close to the abandoned lava valley.

Treacherous boiling swamps and high temperature made it inaccessible. Except for those with high cultivation and strong fire attribute no one was able to step inside it.

Wan Huang left Yaoyao and Wan Fang behind in an inn, gave them money for any emergencies and asked them to cultivate here without stepping out.

Persuading both of them to stay put and not follow her, she left alone to complete the mission.

Her real reason was to enter the lava valley.

She wanted to upgrade her aptitude core, and one of the item needed-the essence flames was located somewhere near lava valley.

Going through many books and little Xiufeng's deductions, they assumed the essence flame to be located in lava valley.

After four days of the nonstop journey from the obsidian valley, up ahead of Wan Huang laid a dry, parched wasteland- the notorious Lava valley.

Wan Huang stepped into the valley.

Ash clouds covered the sky, blocking out the bright sunlight. The air was terrifyingly hot to breathe and sometimes swirls of flames sprayed out from the pitch-black hot ground resembling fireworks. The whole area emitted a depressing red glow.

"This valley was formed from frequent volcanic eruptions and has been in existence for a long time. Because of its conditions, it is uninhabitable, so no speck of life can be seen here."

Xiufeng was quiet during the journey so she thought he was cultivating. Influenced by the abundant fire elements here, he woke up from his sleep and actively explained everything he remembered to her.

Surveying the whole area, she found this expansive wasteland was bordered by volcanic peaks and craters filled with boiling lava could be seen occasionally.

Before she entered the valley, she found the obsidian ore deposits and efficiently collected two kilograms of the ore.

Now she just needs to focus on obtaining the essence flame without being distracted by anything.