45. OUTER SECT TRIALS -1

Finally, the much awaited day of sect trials arrived.

The morning sunlight spilled over the horizon, scattering the excitement to even the remote corners of the sect.

The sect trials were an important turning point, in the life of the disciples of the outer sect.

It measured the improvement of their abilities while it also decided whether they would remain or leave or will be promoted as an inner sect disciple.

The disciples of the celestial jade sect always strived for excellence. Occasionally, there would be some disciples who turn out to be parasites. The celestial jade sect never tolerated such people, and they would be expelled if they couldn't show any improvement.

Moreover, those who perform exceptionally may even be selected into the inner sect, receiving tutelage under the great masters of the inner sect.

By becoming an inner sect disciple, they would have access to rare and amazing cultivation techniques and resources that can boot their cultivation.

Moreover, the status as an inner sect disciple of the Celestial jade sect, is one that is revered and worshiped throughout the whole East Yue continent.

The outer sect had around two thousand three hundred disciples. All of them swarmed into the large central ground of the outer sect, waiting for the trials to begin.

To divide them into groups of similar ranking, the masters started recording their cultivation ranks with the ranking stones.

It took a long time for the masters to finish grouping the disciples into ten groups of two hundred and thirty disciples.

They were then sent back to their rooms to wait for the sect trials to begin officially tomorrow.

The masters of the outer sect had a tiring night today.

The compiling was a tedious process and the masters managed to finish it by dawn. Six hundred and fifty-six old disciples who were under profound earth stage level 7 were directly eliminated.

The next day, the sect trials started with the trials for disciples at profound earth realm.  Among the thousand and two hundred disciples at profound earth realm, Wan Huang's old acquaintance, Ren Weilin, would enter the battle rings today.

The trials started in the morning at ten different battle rings erected on the central ground. Many of the disciples who didn't have to enter the ring today sat around for fun, but later left as there wasn't anything fun to watch. They could use this time to cultivate themselves.

Wan Huang and Wan Fang didn't even go to the grounds and stayed in their rooms. Wan Fang, who thanks to Wan Huang's help broke into the profound sky realm level 1, utilized every second of time to consolidate her strength.

The contest for earth ranked disciples took two days and the temporary ranking list for them was published.

On the fourth day, the trials for sky ranked contestants began. There were a total of four hundred and forty-four contestants, divided according to their cultivation levels.

The competition started at dawn and continued until dusk. After Wan Huang and Wan Fang's round ended, they went to other rings to observe the sparring. The use of various elemental attributes and the strength of the higher ranking disciples helped them gain insight and to readjust their sparring methods.

Taking a stop by Wan Bei's battle ring, they were amazed to see her flattening her opponent in just three moves.

The competition for the first day for them was over. A total of two hundred and twenty-two ultimately succeeded and entered the second round.

On the second day, the competition concluded with only a hundred disciples remaining. On the third day, fifty of them qualified for the finals, including Wan Huang, Wan Fang and Wan Bei.

The fourth day saw the finals of the outer sect trials. The fifty disciples who were currently at the top fifty positions of the outer sect ranking list came together to compete for the chance to enter the inner sect.

The allure of being an inner sect disciple tempted each of them to pour out their talents and fight for it. Even if they didn't get through the rankings, they could at least make a good impression of themselves in front of the inner sect masters who would be watching them.

The masters of the outer sect were viewing the trials, proudly presenting an outer sect teaming with talents to the observing inner sect masters.

Master Cang of the inner sect especially graced his presence at the trial today. Although he heard his disciple-in-name Wan Bei had reached the profound Sky realm level 2 and has performed exceptionally, he wanted to watch her in action.

Seeing her standing among the top fifty, he was immensely proud, and his self-esteem reached the roofs.

“As expected, Master Cang has an excellent eye. His disciple-in-name is already at the top fifty, and she flattened her opponents in just three moves. She is not to be belittled”. Praised another master from the inner sect.

Master Cang just smiled in response without any words, but just his smile was enough to tell how proud he was.

The different inner sect masters seated in the observation rooms evaluated the fifty disciples, making mental calculations of their own.

The final competition officially began. The elder in charge of sect trials stepped on the ring to reiterate the rules and declared the start of the competition.

Disciples from the lower ranks could challenge the higher ranked disciples and replace them. If the latter could challenge those at ranks higher than them and win, they can continue advancing in ranks, or they would be eliminated from the inner sect trials.

The sparring began with Wan Fang at rank fifty. She challenged the candidate at rank forty.

“Disciple Wan Fang wishes to challenge rank forty”.

Everyone let out a gasp. Rank fifty against rank forty, was this girl an idiot?  She was just at profound Sky level 1, and she directly challenged profound sky level 3.

The senior disciple at rank forty leaped into the battle ring.

Hushed discussions sprang out at different areas of the gallery. All of them placed their bets on the senior disciple, but the discussions started changing direction when they saw Wan Fang's counter-attacks.

At first, Wan Fang was oppressed by her opponent, and slowly she started controlling the momentum of the fight.  The various inner sect masters leaned forward in attention at their seats, realizing the turn of events. Even the audience in the gallery were too stubborn not to blink, afraid they would miss a moment of the fight.

The senior disciple realized he was losing out and wanted to change the strategy, but it was late for him to change as he was blown out of the battle ring.

The whole gallery remained silent for a moment, unable to believe such an ending, then broke out in cheers for a level 1 sky realm disciple, who beautifully defeated a level 3 disciple.

“Disciple Wan Fang, promoted to rank forty”.
The elder's voice trembled in excitement after watching the blood boiling fight.

The result was announced, but Wan Fang remained standing inside the ring.

“Disciple Wan Fang, do you wish to challenge again?” Inquired the old master.

“Disciple Wan Fang wishes to challenge rank thirty”.

This time even the inner sect masters were shocked by her boldness. Sparring and winning against level 3 might be her luck, but against a level 5? She is overestimating herself.

While everyone was berating her for being overconfident, only one person believed her.