Chapter 25

After I was dressed I ran to the dock praying that Benjamin would be there.

When I arrived at the dock and Benjamin wasn't there I broke down. I fell to my knees. "Lord, please!" I whispered, "Let this be a dream, if it is not a dream, Lord please let me still be able to see Benjamin, at least as a friend! Let Acer be nice. Help Benjamin if I can't be there God, please! I know I haven't spoken to you in a while. I was mad. Mad about my mom leaving, Benjamin's pain, Richardson and his stupid laws! I'm sorry, Lord, please, please help me!"

"Bethany?" A voice asked. It was Benjamin, "Are you okay?" he touched my shoulder, "What are you doing here?" Then his voice hardened and he knelt down, "Your father didn't hit you again did he? Bethany, if he laid another hand on you..."

I looked up, "No. it's worse than that."

"What then?" he asked. I held out my hand so he could see the ring. I saw pain flicker across his face. "What's his name?" he asked me sadly.

"Acer." I replied. Benjamin's eyes widened and began to tear up.

I sat down and let my tears splash into the water. Benjamin sat down next to me and wrapped his arms around my shoulders. "It's ok, Bethy. Shhh. Don't cry. It's not like we can never hang out again."

"It won't be the same." I replied, "Do you think a husband would want his wife gone all the time? Even if he didn't know I was with another guy, another guy that I loved, he still wouldn't want me gone all of the time."

"No, we won't be able to hang out all the time, but we can still be together sometimes. We both knew that someday this would happen. Just be happy that you found a man that can actually support you. That's something I couldn't do."

"He's not you though, Benjamin. You are the one I want. We were supposed to run away together, Benjamin. We were going to run away together in a few months when I turned eighteen. Why couldn't my father just ignore me until then? Why did he have to take this last step to control me?

"I know. Just try to look on the bright side Bethany."

"There isn't one." I sobbed. Benjamin hugged me tighter, "It's okay."

"It's not fair." I cried.

"I know it isn't." he replied.

I looked up at him. "You're crying."

"Yeah, but it's okay. I just know that I will miss you not being with me every day, but it's okay, it's okay."

"You're trying to convince yourself too, huh?" I asked.

"Yes." He replied honestly, and I leaned closer to him. "Do you know the date of the wedding yet?" he asked.

"Not yet." I replied.

"Well, let's just enjoy our time together then, okay?"

"Okay." I agreed.

"I love you Bethany."

"I love you too, Benjamin." I whispered as a tear dropped down from each of our cheeks into the water below.