Chapter 2

Adalyn

Would it be bad if I said he turned me on?

He was a brooding man with strong muscles that demanded authority and attention with every small movement he made. His eyes were sharp and agile, studying every detail with precision. He stood upon strong thighs that led to wide hips that supported his long defined torso, I could even see the muscles underneath his shirt flexing and relaxing with every breath.

He looked like he walked straight out of a dirty dream.

No, no, no Adalyn stop it

We stood at a standoff, both of us staring at one another through heated glares as both of us refused to break eye contact and admit defeat.

He smirked wider and his finger trailed along his rosy lips as his eyes stared directly into mine making me almost buck underneath the weight of his glare. I let out a shaky breath as I crossed my legs and I couldn't help the slight squeeze of my thighs. That action caused him to break eye contact, his eyes scanning my body until they landed on my bare thighs that slightly trembled with a new desperation.

I watched his every move as he lifted his chin up and gently sniffed before he let out a low laugh that my ears barely registered. He took a daunting step near me and I held my hands out in front of me, as if that would stop the god of a man before me from closing in on me. How is it possible that I was turned on but scared at the same time?

He took another step, testing my limits and I couldn't help but blurt out the first thing that came to my mind, "Please don't take my soul."

I closed my eyes and waited for an attack of some sort or as if the feeling of my soul being eaten would consume my whole body like a wild fire on dry brush.

"Um, what now?" He sounded confused as his voice softly traveled through the air and I gently opened my eyes, one at a time, still waiting for something to come flying at me like a wild tooth or claw. His arched eyebrows were furrowed while his eyes were widened in an offended look.

He stared at me as if I had miraculously grew a second head that began fluently speaking French. I took in his shocked features and lingered on the deep blue of his eyes that called out for me to step closer to him and remove the space between us.

If he wasn't a blood thirsty beast I would think he was kind of cute right now.

"You heard what I said." I murmured taking a step back apprehensively.

My arms were still outstretched before me and I refused to lower my stance. It provided me with at least some sense of protection, even if it was just for show as I knew my tiny arms were nothing compared to his lean and vigorous muscles.

In the blink of an eye he was right in front of me and a squeal of shock hastily escaped my lips and my eyes widened to the size of saucers. I was acutely aware of the lack of space between us as I could feel the warmth from his taut muscles reach my skin like an aura.

"So that's what they're teaching you now?" He asked tilting his head, his deep and gravely voice coiling around me like a feral snake waiting to attack. His dark hair fell into small curls on top of his head and tapered around the nape of his neck as a loose curl fell over his forehead.

He was so close to me to the point where I could feel his breath fan my lips in soft warm gusts of air. If I breathed in deep enough my chest would touch his and close the little space that was left between us.