Chapter 36

Adalyn

I shook my head and closed my eyes. I had to get into that office and get those journals and leave.

I walked over to Monara and tried to look the best I could for some type of key. I know that the other guy who kicked me out of the office, kept it around his neck so that was the first place I checked on Monara. I bit my lip to hold in a frustrated groan when I couldn't find the stupid key wrapped around his neck.

I thought about looking in his pockets but I didn't want to take too big of a risk and have him wake up while I'm trying to escape.

I went to the door and tried opening it, but it was still locked and I let out a frustrated groan. I opened the drawers in the room and I found a bobby pin hidden in the corner in one of them.

Bingo.

I had no idea how to open a door with a bobby pin but I was desperate for anything to work.

I walked over to the door and bent down on my knees. I bent the bobby pin so it was straight and I stuck it in the keyhole, wiggling it around until I began to hear things clicking. I kept moving it and suddenly the door opened.

Oh my god, I did it!

I let out a small giggle, creeping open the door and sticking my head out, looking both ways before I decided it was safe.

I looked back at Monara's sleeping body and very carefully shut the door behind me making sure I heard the familiar locking sound.

I tip toed over to the office door and noticed that it was also locked. The hallway was dead silent and I was scared to breathe as I felt like it would make too much noise.

I took the bobby pin and did the same thing as I did to the other door and I let out a sigh of relief as the door opened, revealing Monara's office.

I slowly walked in closing the door behind me as I went for his desk I reached in the familiar drawer and there sat the journal. I grabbed it and continued to grab any papers I could find. If I was going to escape I wanted to have all of the necessary information.

I opened the other drawer and found another journal and a flash drive. I furrowed my eyebrows but grabbed it anyway. I practically ransacked his office as I grabbed everything and anything I could get my hands on.

I walked to the door, a pile of papers and journals in my hands as I left his office, gently closing the door behind me.

I practically ran down the hallway to the entrance, I turned back looking behind me but I stopped dead in my tracks as I bumped into someones chest.

I almost let out a scream but it was stopped short as a hand was placed over my mouth.

"Shh!" I looked up and was slightly relieved when I noticed it was only Maddox.

"Maddox, please don't say anything. Please I need to leave." I whispered, pleading him with my eyes.

"I know, I'm here to help you." He whispered back.

"What?" I asked furrowing my eyebrows.

"I'll explain later, I promise." He whispered grabbing my hand.

He led me outside until we got to the car and he opened the door for me. I thanked him, getting in and placing all of the papers on the seat next to me.

"Been to Monara's office I'm assuming." He chuckled looking at the pile of stuff.

I nodded my head with a smile as he started the car and started driving.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"The Northern exit." He said.

My eyes widened and I connected the dots.

"So you are a..." I trailed off watching him.

"A wolf? Yes Alpha." He said looking back at me.

"Wait! Can we please go stop and get my mother?" I pleaded sitting forward.

"Of course." He replied.

When we pulled up to my moms house I jumped out running to the door. I moved the rug in front of the door that read in bold black letters, 'welcome' and grabbed the spare key, unlocking the door as fast as I could.

I carefully walked in the house. The kitchen light was on so I headed that way as an eerie silence casted over the house. I opened the door and let out a sigh of relief. My mom sat at the counter with a cup of hot tea, leaning her head on her arm.

"Mom!" I whisper yelled.

She jumped awake and looked at me in shock.

"We have to go, come on. I'll explain more in the car, I promise." I said reaching for her arm.

She nodded her head and got up.

"Wait darling, come here." I followed and walked over to her. She grabbed my cross necklace yanking it off my neck. I furrowed my eyebrows but she did the same with hers, leaving them on the counter.

"I'll explain that part later." She said smiling.

"I have to grab a few things and then we can leave." She sighed running upstairs.

Soon enough she came down with a bag and reached for my hand.

"Let's go baby."

We walked outside and got into the car.

"Maddox." My mom said with a smile.

He just smiled back at her and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Um what." I asked looking between them.

"I guess it's time to explain." My mother said smiling.