Chapter 37

Adalyn

"It happened way before I was born. Your great-great grandma used to live in the house your father and I did. She too liked to wander around the forest, just like you. One day she stumbled upon a hole in the wall and instead of being scared she ventured out. She found a young werewolf who was injured so badly. She helped carry him home and nursed him back to health and from that day he swore to protect our family and return the gift of life that your grandma had given him."

I followed along with her words and somehow this story seemed familiar.

"For each generation this werewolf has guarded our family, always staying inside the walls, never to return to his pack. One day I met my own mate and we fell in love and I soon gave birth to a beautiful baby girl." She said reaching over and grabbing my hand, gently squeezing it.

"See this werewolf that vowed to protect our family read about this prophecy that said a first born child would be the fall of Monara. He got a job working for Monara and kept his promise of protecting this sweet innocent little girl. Adalyn, this werewolf is Maddox. Whether you have realized it or not, he has watched over you ever since you were a baby." My mom hummed looking up and smiling at Maddox.

"Without him, we wouldn't have been nearly as safe. So when I found out you left the city I was so relieved, but then Maddox came back to me, saying you came back. Adalyn I was so mad, you were finally safe and you came back for what?" She asked gently shaking her head.

"You, Monara said that if I came back he wouldn't hurt you or Roman. I just wanted to protect you guys." I said, tears threatening to escape.

"Baby, I don't need protection. The only thing I care about is you being safe." She gently caressed my cheek smiling at me.

I gasped and looked at Maddox as I finally remembered where I knew him from.

"You're Roman's brother." I breathed out. My eyes widened as I looked at him and from what I can remember from Roman's memory, he looked exactly like the wolf on the ground.

"That I am." He smiled.

"Roman doesn't know you're alive. He thought you died." I breathed out. He let out a sigh and nodded his head in sadness.

"In order to protect him and keep him from coming into the city I had to keep myself hidden, letting him believe I was dead. But to my surprise he ended up being mated to the girl I was supposed to protect." He chuckled looking back at me.

I smiled and looked down at my hands.

"Mom why can't I change into a wolf? I have a friend who is a hybrid and she's able to shift." I said looking up at her.

"That is partly my fault. In order for a hybrid to shift into a wolf, they have to be taught at a young age how to shift. They need extra training and support to find their wolf but once they are no longer a child they aren't able to shift. I wanted to hide that part of your life. I couldn't risk you shifting and getting caught by Monara. I took away that part of your life and I am so, so sorry." She whispered, bowing her head in shame.

"It's okay mom." I reached over and grabbed her hand, holding it in my lap.

"A-and what about my dad? You said he was a wolf?" I asked.

She sighed and nodded her head, sadness overtaking her calm features.

"He would sneak here as often as he could, come visit you and I every chance he got. He loved visiting you, he would come and even when you were a toddler you would just run into his arms like you knew he was your father. Then one day he just stopped coming. It wasn't until a few days after I became very worried. He never missed out on coming to see you, it just wasn't like him. I asked Maddox to see if he heard anything and when he came back he told me that he had been killed by Monara's men. He had to sneak in another entrance and when he did he was killed at the spot." My mom wiped away a stray tear and I reached over hugging her.

"I'm sorry momma." I whispered.

She just hugged me tighter before she pulled away and left a kiss on my head.

I looked out the window and sighed. We would soon be on our way to Roman and the pack.

I yawned and laid down in my moms lap closing my eyes. It didn't take much for me to fall asleep as my mom gently stroked my hair, pushing it up and out of my face.

-

"Adalyn come on baby." My mom whispered waking me up.

I looked around and I felt giddy again as I saw the familiar park.

I reached over and grabbed all of the papers and journals, getting out of the car after my mother.

"Now we're going to have to walk to the pack house from here so it'll be a while before we can actually get there." He said beginning the short walk to the wall.

Just like before we climbed through the hole, this time we were faced with just plain forest, nothing more; no one more.

I took a deep breath and told myself I was okay as we began the walk, venturing deep into the forest until we came across a dirt road.

My mom stayed right by my side as Maddox walked ahead of us, guiding us to the pack house. My breath got caught in my throat as I saw the familiar large house come into view.

Now that was home.

The closer we got, the harder my heart pounded against my chest. I could feel tingles fly across my skin and I knew that meant he was in the house somewhere.

We made it to the door and I opened it walking in. I felt my body relax from being inside a familiar and comfortable place.

I turned to Maddox and gave him all the papers and journals and he happily accepted it, taking it in his hands.

"Thank you." I whispered.

I walked into the kitchen and everyone stopped talking turning towards me.

"Oh thank god you're back. I thought we were gonna have to Jackie Chan some bitches." Rene said placing a hand on his chest and letting out a deep breath.

Berlin stopped and immediately ran over to me, hugging me close to her.

"You are so stupid!" She yelled, scolding me.

"I know." I mumbled, hugging her closer to me.

"Don't you dare do that to us ever again!" She said smiling and pulling back.

"Okay." I whispered gently laughing.

"You should go see Roman. He's upstairs but he really needs you Addy." Rene sighed walking closer to me.

I nodded my head and turned to leave the kitchen, walking towards the stairs.

"I'm going to go see Roman, I'll be back soon." I told Maddox and my mom.

They nodded their head and I began the venture up the stairs.

Well, here goes nothing.