Chapter Five

Chapter Five:
Jiggly Hand
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"I wanna get high as fuck right now." Lavender mumbled, tossing a box of poptarts to Syd. "Volleyball practice really fucked me up, I'm sore!"

Syd laughed, catching the box in her hands and tossing it to the basket. Stan knitted his eyebrows as he looked at Lavender, "You're on the volleyball team?"

"Mhm. You should come to one of my games, I'd love to see you there." Lavender winked, "My next game's coming up, too."

Stan nodded his head, "I'll have to go then."

Lavender grinned, looking away from his gaze as she placed the basket onto the checkout counter. Her face became red as the woman began to ring up the items.

"What about me? You never invite me to any of your games." Syd huffed, crossing her arms.

"Because you always go, I don't need to.." Lavender said awkwardly, "Which is really nice, it's always good to look over and see such a pretty face cheering me on."

She winked, nudging Syd as the shorter girl's cheeks dusted pink. "Sh-Shut up.."

"Never ever." Lavender grinned ruffling Syd's hair as she looked away.

"Uh, that'll be 67.99." The woman at the counter said, ringing up the final item.

Syd's face fell, "Uh.. can you ring it up again? I-I think you overcharged me."

"Which item, hon?" She asked.

"All of 'em?" Syd swallowed thickly, looking over at Lavender.

"Yeah, it's gonna be the same. Are you gonna pay or what?" The woman rose her eyebrows, gesturing to the basket of food.

"Do you need me to spot you?" Stan leaned over to whisper in Syd's ear.

"No. It's fine, guys. I'll just put the stuff back." Syd huffed, picking up the milk and angrily walking away.

"Stanley Barber. Nice to meet you." Stanley spoke, extending his hand for the woman to shake.

"Aka, my future boyfriend." Lavender winked, "I'm Lavender Greene. Before you ask, yes, my first and last name are both colors. No, my middle name isn't a color. It's Paige."

The woman blinked, "Uh-"

The sound of boxes crashing onto the floor caused Lavender to quickly drop the conversation and sprint to the aisle Syd disappeared to.

"Syd, holy fucking fuck.. What happened?" Lavender asked, her eyes softening at the sight of Syd's shaking figure at the end of the aisle.

"Woah.. Syd?" Stanley looked from the boxes to Lavender until finally he looked at Syd.

Syd gulped, her eyes trained on Lavender before she disappeared in the blink of an eye.

"Shit, shit, shit, shit!" Lavender cursed, pushing past Stanley and leaving the store as fast as she could.

She frantically searched the alleyways for Syd until she found her sitting against a wall, her head in her hands.

Lavender slowly walked over, seating herself beside Syd as she watched Syd's uneven breathing.

Gently, Lavender raised her arm and rested it around Syd's body, her heart aching as Syd immediately leaned into her touch.

Lavender closed her eyes, interlocking her fingers as she held Syd tightly.

Stanley appeared minutes later, awkwardly sitting beside the girls. "So.. Panic attacks, huh?"

Lavender shot him a look, subtly shaking her head.

"My.. uh.. My mom used to get those.. Hell, maybe she still does. I-I mean, I don't know. But, uh, it sucks that you get them, too." He continued, his voice growing quieter as he glanced from Lavender to Syd repeatedly.

"Why are you still talking to me?" Syd raised her head from Lavender's shoulder to look at him.

"Because everyone else in this town is boring." Stanley shrugged, pulling a small metal container from his pants pocket. He held his hand out, motioning for Syd to take it.

"Uh.. I've never.. smoked before." Syd said awkwardly, pulling from Lavender's grasp and sitting up straight.

"Do you wanna try?"

Syd blinked, glancing at Lavender who had an excited grin on her face. "Go for it."

Syd nodded, taking the now joint from Stanley's hands and lifting it to her lips.

Lavender chuckled when Syd pulled the joint from her lips and handed it to Lavender. "You didn't even cough, that's hot as fuck."

Syd blushed, rolling her eyes as she leaned against the wall. "Whatever."

~~

"Fuck yeah! We're so gonna win this, thing guys. I can see it now. State champions.. us. And then I'm gonna get a victory kiss." Lavender muttered, her eyes trained towards the cloudy sky above. She giggled, turning her head to look at Syd and poking her. "From you."

Syd blushed, rolling her eyes. "Surprised you guys even come to this stuff. It's so lame."

"You come to it, too. Except it's volleyball.. so it's infinitely better." Lavender laughed, "Especially at this school."

"It's the opposite of lame, Syd." Stanley said, taking the drink from Lavender's hands and taking a sip from it. "It's theater.. It's live theater."

"This is a field.." Lavender muttered, raising her hand and waving it in front of her face.

"Westinghouse Memorial High School on a Friday night. What could be more tragic? More Shakespearean?"

Syd nodded slowly, even if she didn't quite understand what he meant.

"Think about it. The second the lights come up on Hamlet, you know it's not gonna end well. Take, uh, Mr. Bradley Lewis! His best case scenario is.. is what? Managing some regional sales company? Where he gets to.. I don't know.."

"Something with employee of the month." Lavender mumbled, turning her hand over and blocking out the moon.

"Calling the shots on employee of the month. I mean, these are people that will actually attend their five, ten, even twenty year high school reunion." Stanley said, shaking his head as he watched the opposing team score. "Because.. aside from this, nothing else noteworthy is gonna happen."

"I don't wanna be like that." Lavender shook her head quickly, sitting up suddenly.

"You won't. You're different. But this is as good as it gets for them, and I like watching them.. Like Hamlet, when everything goes to shit in the end and everyone dies.. it's the best theater in town."

"Woah.. my hand looks jiggly!" Lavender giggled, leaning into Syd as she waved her hand in front of her face. "See?"

Syd grinned, raising her hand and interlacing their fingers before bringing them down to her lap and locking eyes with Lavender. "I see."

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

{ A/n: um??? them >>> also i wont be able to reply to comments this weekend, but i will be able to on Monday! }

{ Edited: No }