twenty-six

abby woke up feeling groggy from not having slept well the previous night.

she got out of bed without doing her usual ritual of checking her phone, responding to jack's good morning, and then getting out of bed. instead, this morning, she instantly got out of bed and walked immediately to the bathroom that she shared with her younger sister.

abby turned the water in her shower on as hot as it would go, stripped out of the leggings and hoodie that she fell asleep in, stepped into the shower, and instantly broke down in tears when the thought of jack entered her mind.

abby quickly showered while trying to calm herself down and force herself to stop crying before getting out and ready for the school day.

she slipped into a pair of sweatpants, one of trevor's old hockey hoodies, her white vans and called it a day. abby grabbed her backpack, keys, and her phone off the floor and headed downstairs where she avoided her family and went straight outside, got into her car and began the drive to Starbucks, and then onto school.

abby had just driven into the Starbucks drive thru when her phone vibrated in the cupholder.

from em zegras💛
what's wrong ab?❤️

just in a fight with jack that's all

tell mom and dad i apologize for walking out with our saying anything this morning

i was in a daze

they aren't mad at you, they say have a good day at school and they love you

abby placed her phone back in the cup holder, ordered her coffee, and headed to school for the long day ahead of her.

||||||

it had been a long, hard day at school and abby couldn't have been more happy to be pulling into her driveway.

all day long, she avoided talking to the fellow ntdp girlfriends and avoiding sophia so she wouldn't have to talk about jack or what was said between the two of them last night; all while waiting and constantly checking her phone hoping there would be a text from jack on her screen. but she never got that text.

abby grabbed her backpack, phone, and wallet and carried everything inside and immediately went to the kitchen to see her mom.

"come here, love." abby's mom said as she walked into the kitchen.

abby set all of her stuff on one of the bar stools at their kitchen island before melting in her mom's extended arms. she couldn't help but cry as her mother held her in her arms.

"it's okay, Ab. you two will work it out." she cooed to her daughter, "every great couple has a few bumps in the road. nothing is perfect and neither can this relationship."

the two zegras women stood in their kitchen hugging for what felt like hours until abby pulled away from her mother, wiped her tears, and sat down on one of the stools.

"you should send jack a text and wish him good luck at their game tonight." mrs.zegras said to her daughter as she leaned on the kitchen island, "just to open up the conversation between the two of you."

"okay." abby said to her mom as she looked up at her.

while abby pulled out her phone and wrote a text to jack, mrs.zegras said, "jack and you are so in love. a little fight like this isn't gonna destroy the two of you. jack absolutely adores you and the way he looks at you is not something everyone has. you two are special, you'll make it through this even though, right now, it doesn't seem like you will."

abby looked up from her phone before sending the text to jack and said, "you're right, mom. it's our first fight, it seems bad to me right ow but in reality, it's probably not that bad."

"you're exactly right, ab." mrs.zegras said to her daughter, "would you like a snack?"

"sure." abby said before looking back down to her vibrating phone.

good luck tonight, you got this.  i'll be cheering you on from home

thanks ab, please call me tonight after the game. i need to apologize. i love you always my girl❤️

i love you too #6❤️