Chapter Six

After hunting all day, all night, into the next day, and at the beginning of dusk, Castella finally feels her body getting stronger. She flies back to Animbas's place, not having seen him since two days ago. She lands softly at his front porch, her white scales shining at the start of darkness. 

She mumbles the words to change into a Shifter, and then walks through the front door quietly. She latches the door shut and then wanders to her bedroom, stopping at the door when she hears Animbas's voice. She retraces her steps to the kitchen, and finds Animbas muttering in his sleep. Castella silently wanders to his side, tucking her hair behind her ear before leaning over him. She looks at his flawless face, his dirty blonde hair tussled and his closed eyes, seeing how peaceful he looks. 

"The way things are . . .  I can't . . . I wish that . . ." He mutters, his eyelashes fluttering on his face. Castella finds her lips parting in a smile, just watching him sleep-talk. She settles for stooping over him and listens to him throughout the beginning of night. 

"You are wonderful . . . I just can't . . . Castella . . ." He mumbles right before his eyes open, and he sits up slightly. He pauses as he sees Castella so close, his lips by her nose. Castella feels her cheeks heat, and she sees Animbas swallow harshly. They settle for breathing quietly for a bit, and Castella mumbles before backing away, "I'm sorry, Animbas. I just heard you muttering in your sleep."

"What did I say?" Animbas asks casually, sitting up on the couch as he looks at Castella. She sits on the couch opposite from him and replies, "Just something about not being able to do anything. Then you said something about the way things are."

"Strange. I can't even remember what I was dreaming about." Animbas scratches his head before standing, and he says with a slight chuckle, "I should head to bed if I'm dozing off. How is your dragon form?"

"Great, thank you for asking. It should get up to speed as I sleep, kind of like how humans refuel their cars." Castella responds before walking behind Animbas, and touches a finger to her lips as Animbas sitting up comes back to her mind. Animbas halts at his doorway, and Castella, still wrapped up in the memory, bumps right into him. He feels her bosom bump into his back, and feels his throat dry up. He takes a couple deep breaths and then says with a shaky voice, "I think your room is the other direction, Castella."

"Yes, I know." She mutters distractedly before stepping away, heading back to her room with bright red cheeks. Animbas shakes his head and mumbles, "This is a bad choice," before grabbing her arm. Castella stops and then says without turning to face him, "I'm going to my room, Animbas."

"I know, I know." Animbas says before pulling her hand up to his lips, kissing her knuckles gently. Castella looks back at him with a girlish smile, and he says, "Have a good sleep, Castella. You better get to sleep if you expect a good day of hunting tomorrow."

"You are the one who should get to bed to have a good sleep, Animbas." She grins before opening then closing her door. She feels her body heat up, and she slaps her forehead before mumbling, "Idiot! How can I create a relationship when a mad dragon is chasing me, my father is dead and my mother is somewhere in this world?"

She sighs and then flops down on her bed before pointing out to herself, "But his eyes. They look identical to Arcus's. Maybe a little less green, but how can I like him if he reminds me of my father's killer?"

She curls up in a ball on the bed, the grey blanket wrapped tightly around her. She falls asleep imagining the tight blanket around her waist is Animbas's arm, and has no dreams. When she wakes, she still feels the blanket around her. She shifts the blanket so it's twisted around her left leg and up to her torso, but the weight of an arm doesn't go away. She takes a deep breath and then opens her eyes to a dim room, but sees the early morning sun rays coming through the window. She turns just her head to see green eyes looking into hers, and she mumbles, "Good morning, Animbas. I would ask what you're doing here, but I'm too exhausted from hunting to care."