Chapter Sixteen

Arcus allows himself a smile before rubbing his head against Castella's. "Thank you for listening to me," says Arcus softly as he gazes at Castella. Her white scales shine even in the darkness of his cave, and her silver eyes are like headlights in the dim lightning. The silver is like nickels, bright and alluring, and convey a lot more than her lashing out. 

"I want to help you, Arcus. And if I'm going to do that, I need to listen." Castella says softly before they shift positions, and she lets him nudge her flank. Her soft and shiny belly scales brush gently along his head as he smells her authority-filled scent; the air after a long and heavy rain. It goes well with Arcus's, the smell of ice and snow, which somehow maintains power. 

He is about to weave underneath her when she stiffens, and Arcus lifts his head up, rubbing his way back along her flank, up her neck and to her. 

"Whatever is it, Castella? Did I do something?" He asks softly before she responds, "You didn't do anything wrong, Arcus, and good of you for asking. But, I thought I heard something weird."

"Is it a consistent noise?" He questions before Castella replies, "I think it will go again. Let's just listen for a bit."

They stand together in the minimal light of the cave until a female groan is heard, and then a small snort that sounds proud. 

Arcus twists his head sideways and asks, "Why does that sound mean anything to you? It's just the sound of someone either mating or someone with a dragonet on the way."

"It's not what the sound is." Castella shakes her beautiful white head. "It's who it's from. Come on."

She strolls purposefully out from the cave, Arcus standing fiercely at her side, and with a huge amount of hostility in his eyes. He doesn't want anyone coming near Castella, especially after their interaction. He knows the kindness she possesses, and if she were to lose that because he wasn't around to protect her, he would die inside. 

They step into the cave where dragons mull about, talking in low tones, eating quietly, and avoiding Arcus's gaze. He notices them all looking terrified, and suddenly feels very guilty and insecure. Castella notices his hesitation and whispers, "Don't think about that now, Arcus. Focus on me."

He looks to her as he feels a sense of calmness, and then takes a deep breath in. He looks around at all the dragons, and then says, "No. I have to do something about this."

He looks at all the dragons and then says, "All of you here, I want you to go out and fly. Go do what you like, until the sun sets. I don't want to see any of you without a smile."

The whole cave goes more silent than it has ever been, and Arcus suddenly feels anger well up within him. Castella taps his talon lightly then calls out to them, "Would you rather stay here and be controlled?"

'No,' is the general reply, and Actrino says as he catches on, "Thank you, Arcus, for the freedom."

Surprisingly, more than a quarter of the dragons say thank you. They all head to the exit and leave, except for the guards. They stay there like statues, and Arcus asks, "Why are you still here?"

"You said you wanted us on guard always, for no matter what, or what was going on." The one Castella was with -before she went to the beach with Arcus- says. He looks warily at Castella as he remembers the snappy reply, but he has no need to be worried any longer. 

"I'm sure Arcus means you can go. If he's authorized everyone to go, that includes you." Castella says before they all look to each other, then grin like young kids, and bound out of the cave. 

"That went better than I thought." Arcus mumbles with a small smile, which grows by the second. He laughs before looking to Castella, and he spreads his soft silver tongue over her face, like a kiss. She bows her head respectfully before her tail wraps around his, and he pulls back before saying, "I said everyone. We're missing three."