Chapter Fourteen

Arcus takes in a wracking breath that hurts his lungs, his head resting against Castella's shoulder, his thick arms around her waist. Her wet dress still clings to her, and he can feel her heartbeat pulsing through her veins under his forehead. 

He lets out a slow breath before Castella slides her hand across his back, up between his shoulder blades, into the base of his silver hair, and she gently runs her fingers through it. He lifts his head up, and Castella reaches her hand out, touching it to his cheek, softly wiping his tears. He swallows hard, his Adam's apple bobbing, and then mumbles, "Oddly enough, I feel better. How did you know I would?"

"Crying has a way of doing that to you." Castella says before Arcus takes in a huge breath, his lungs filling to the max. He releases it slowly, his body shaking slightly from the release of all the built up emotion. Castella runs her hand down his shoulder, to his hand and grasps it tight, looking into his green eyes. 

"You're a brave Shifter." She smiles before standing slowly, pulling Arcus to his feet. He slides his hands along her arms and pulls her close, back into a hug. He buries his head into her neck, smelling her scent which is the aroma of the earth after rain. He takes in a deep breath and says, "Do we really have to go back? The dragons won't miss my attitude. Or me, for the matter."

"Arcus." Castella looks at him, her glowing eyes holding the emotion of a calm happiness. "I don't want to go back either, but they need you to lead them."

"Did you not hear that they won't miss me?" Arcus asks, opening his green eyes to look at her. She rolls her eyes and says with a teasing grin, "You don't know that, Arcus. Besides, I know that Actrino and Tilu would miss you."

"Meh." Arcus grunts before he pulls her close, hands feeling the damp fabric covering her. He looks down at her, and whispers as the sentence -she's so beautiful- runs through his head, "One last thing before we have to leave."

Castella chuckles softly before she says, "When we go back, promise me you'll try to keep a lid on your lips."

"The only thing my lips are going to do is this." He mumbles before his vision narrows to just her, and he presses a kiss to her lips. She returns it with as much fervor, and feels a animalistic growl come from Arcus. It starts in his chest and travels through his voice box, and sends out a rumble that sends shivers down Castella's arms. He tugs her closer, but she can't come further. She's pressed up against him very tightly, and can feel every indent of his abdomen against hers. 

She also takes into recognition the fact this noise is coming from him. It was described in a myth to her, that when a male dragon finds his love or mate, a powerful symphony would come forth. This noise from Arcus is like a song, and it makes Castella's whole body tighten. This only deepens the hum, and though Arcus is anything but tentative, when his tongue slithers forward, it seems as though he's shy. 

Castella feels it when he lets out a loud groan, and feels her lips part slightly, her tongue creeping forward. Arcus feels something soft touch his lip, unlike the texture of her lips. His tongue snags hers before Arcus backs away, his chest heaving. 

Castella smiles coyly and Arcus says, "Don't look at me like that. You know I'm this close," he holds his thumb and index finger less than a centimeter apart, "to mating with you, and I know my dragon will not be as kind. He'll try to be nice, but I'm afraid he'll hurt you."

"You could never hurt me." Castella grabs his hands in hers, "Well, you could, but I know you certainly wouldn't and won't try."

Arcus grins before he kisses her once more, short but sweet. He pulls back and then sighs. "We have to go back sooner than later, you're right. Unless you really want to-"