~16 - To Find The Stone of Life~

"I suppose you think you're harder to get past than a pack of enchantments!" Professor McGonagall's voice echoes around us as she approaches us briskly. I hadn't thought she'd come through here, but I suppose with what we just told her in the Entrance Hall she was likely to make a pass by the door. I look down submissively when she is upon us. "Enough of this nonsense! If I hear you've come anywhere near here again, I'll take another fifty points from Gryffindor! Yes, Weasley, from my own house!"

The boys and I scuttle away from McGonagall as soon as she's done reprimanding us, and I can feel my heart beating wildly in my chest. I've never thought terribly of her, nor will I likely ever, but for her to not treat this as seriously as it is, is astonishing! How can she not be heeding this more? Surely she understand the danger the wizarding world is in if Snape gets his greasy hands on the Stone.

"At least Hermione's on Snape's tail," Ron comments defeated as we're sit back in the Common Room. I'm about to agree before suddenly the Fat Lady's portrait is swinging open to reveal a dishevelled Mione bursting through and exclaiming loudly.

"I'm sorry, Harry! Snape came out and asked what I was doing, so I said I was waiting for Professor Flitwick, and Snape went to get him and I've only just gotten away. I don't know where Snape went."

"Well, that's it then, isn't it?" sighs Harry. The three of us watch him sadly, though he's looking as though he hasn't yet given up all hope. "I'm going out of here tonight and I'm going to try and get to the Stone first."

"I'm coming with you, then," I declare, and Ron looks horrified.

"You two are mad!" he exclaims.

"You can't!" adds Mione. "After what McGonagall and Snape have said? You'll both be expelled!"

"SO WHAT?" shouts Harry, his outburst frightening me briefly. "Don't you understand? If Snape gets hold of the Stone, Voldemort's coming back! Haven't you heard what it was like when he was trying to take over? There wont be any Hogwarts to get expelled from! He'll flatten it, or turn it into a school for the Dark Arts! Losing points doesn't matter anymore, can't you see? D'you think he'll leave you and your families alone if Gryffindor win the house cup? If I get caught before I can get to the Stone, well, I'll have to go back to the Dursleys and wait for Voldemort to find me there. It's only dying a bit later than I would have done, because I'm never going over to the Dark Side! I'm going through that trapdoor tonight, and nothing you two say is going to stop me! Voldemort killed my parents, remember?"

There's a heavy silence wafting through the empty-bar-us Common Room that's settling terribly with everyone. I think they've got the point now.

"I'll follow you through this, Harry. You won't be doing it alone," I tell him with a serious gaze. "I'll follow you."

Harry gives me a kind and appreciative smile to which I return, before Hermione is speaking up.

"You're right, Harry..."

"I'll use the invisibility cloak," Harry says next. "It's just lucky I got it back."

"But will it cover all four of us?" Ron asks.

"All – all four of us?" Harry reiterates confused.

"Don't worry, I'll use the Disillusionment Charm. I've gotten to be pretty good at it by now," I tell, and both nod, Harry still looks confused.

"Oh, come off it, you don't think we'd let you go along?" Ron says.

"Of course not," Hermione backs him up quickly. "How do you think you'd get to the Stone without us? I'd better go and look through some books, there might be something useful..."