22. The Scapegoat

Antonio

We scanned the air for an incoming flights. Al informed us about their narrow escape after Santos did what we expected him to. An egoistic man like him wouldn't budge from his stand. He was a textbook narcissist and I knew well, poking the bear could have its repercussions. 

I had faith that Val would be able to convince him about the contracts but..

"There," Agustin pointed towards the radar.

We were perched at the control tower, waiting for any news on them. The skies about us were blanketed with grey coverings of clouds. Just like the weather, the situation back at the house looked grimy. Maria had raised hell in the house, tossing us out to get information. We were not supposed to return without Alejandro and Val. Although Agustin tried his best to convince her about their successful escape she, being the scared mother that she was, didn't buy his words.

Agustin fell back on the chair behind me. His eyes remained shut as the rumbling from the craft engine, closing up on the runway would be heard from a distance. Phew. Even I was relieved, listening to the pilot asking for clearance. Gabriel had walked up after listening to the clearance message, readying the cars to escort them back. 

Agustin turned in his creaking chair. His eyes remained on me as I stood watching the ominous sky. "You knew they would be attacked? Didn't you?" Anger dripped from his voice as the realization struck him. 

Yes, I had lied to Val and Agustin about the safety of this trip. Salazar's hold was growing strong and even though he was miles apart, there was nothing we could do except plan the coup to overthrow him. I had heard of a Latin man's attempt at trying to rule all of us, place us under his thumb. Santos Salazar's father was the only man who seemed to have taken the meaning of allies seriously. Rest of their clan was always driven with the motive to rule. 

The craft landed, floating right across our eyes before coming to a standstill. The tarmac rumbled to life as the jet engines addressed the impending question on everyone's mind. Val and Alejandro were safe. They made it back alive.

Val was the first to descent. She looked over us and into the sky as if she was somehow reliving the moments faced in Spain. Walking towards me, she deviated her course at last. Her phone rang where she confirmed something, coverting the speaker.

Within seconds, a grey sedan approached the runway, picking her up.

"Hey, you have to come with us." I ordered her through the window. She turned up the pane with only enough space for me to peek. This woman's defiance never ceased to amaze me.

"I don't have to do anything for you anymore," her hand tapped on the driver's seat and the vehicle left.

Agustin, who stood behind me patted my arm. I knew she was scorned. I would manage my distance with her for a couple of hours before interacting. A scorned woman wasn't someone I wanted to entertain.

Alejandro hopped off the last step from the craft before rushing and embracing me. "We did it.." his voice was muffled with his mouth pressed against my shoulder. I patted his back. My brother made me proud today.

"Welcome home," I ruffled his hair and he ducked. "Where is the-" before I could ask, he pointed to the airhostesses who carried an unconscious girl till the entrance of the door.

My men pulled her out on a stretcher. I walked towards her; a sleeping Salazar, unaware of why she travelled from Spain to Mexico. 

Agustin stood beside me, "Is that..?" His words stuttered, his eyes were ready to escape its sockets. My little brother wasn't made aware of this part of the plan.