43. Mi Vida

Valentina

I lied.

Correction.

I've been lying to Antonio since the time I discovered Elena's truth. He trusted me with everything. Yet, here I was, driving to meet the woman who wanted nothing else than to destroy the man who considered her dead.

Faking dad's sickness, I had to get out. Elena said it was urgent.

The urgency about the plan she sprouted for long got me so curious that I had to escape in the middle of the night. Antonio bought my lie. He believed Ramon was sick. Little did he knew that it's been months that he and I spoke. Ramon still believes I was helping him. All I was doing was leading him on to believe it.

Upon reaching the old cemetery, I got out. Elena stood in the middle of dilapidated plots.

"What was so urgent that it couldn't wait for tomorrow morning?" I demanded an answer.

Loosening her muffler that coiled around her neck, she spoke. Her low voice caught my attention. She was with someone or was being watched. I looked around but there was nobody present around.

"The Castros would arrive soon and the deal would be executed. I want you to update me on everything from now on. Everything," she said.

Elena eyes darted into the darkness. Upon turning, I witnessed a shadowy figure in the distance. Her mannerisms reveled she was scared. Her palpitated breath and stuttered words screamed it out for me. I felt like she was in danger.

Who could scare an intelligence agent?

"Elena," I moved closer. She remained still, holding her far away gaze. "Tell me what the matter is. Remember, our deal was that we both exchange information."

"That was not what we agreed to," her head snapped sidewise. "Now tell me, how is the consignment coming out?"

"It's going as planned. Everything is. In a few weeks-"

"We will capture all of them all," she finished my statement breathing fog into the cold night.

I knew the Italian twins were working for the Agency and they would go scot free. The all was for the Moralez. We would be at the receiving end of this.

"I have two conditions," I said, snapped her out of whatever reverie she was floating in. Her distant gaze shortened when she turned, facing me. "I need immunity for some people."

Her laughter echoed through the silence, quieting the noises from cricket cries. "You think you have bargaining power here, Valentina? You are just as naïve as the rest."

"I know you think my job would be over when you capture them but you would still need me." My finger danced between me and her. "You would still need to pin this onto them, the crimes they committed."

Letting a half smile, Elena moved closer, placing her hand on my shoulder. "You know, that's why we are catching them in the act. So that it's helpful in extraditing them."

She knew what she was doing, but I was also trained for days like these. "You could only be able to establish proof that they were near the consignment. But their lawyers would be able to give alibies stating it was made to look like this. The Moralez have everyone in their pocket so by the time you establish your case, they would have already hunted you down."

The understanding of the truth made Elena tremble. She looked around as if seeking help from the shadows. Drawing a deep breath, she reluctantly spilled her words. "What do you want?"