46. Mourn and Move On

Valentina

A week had since I missed Antonio's presence. A whole week spent in bed, where I was unwilling to believe our own allies were cause for betrayal.

"They are here," Sofia opened the door, peeking in. Her head tossed around the darkness of my room. "Val," she called out.

"I am coming," was the most I could tell her.

Unwilling to leave my room or my bed, I had to stay in mourning. Any slip of my mask and I would be caught within the web of lies I built. It was all for everyone's good, I reminded myself time and again but those words seemed to lose its meaning with every passing day.

"Okay," Sofia whispered through the crack in the door. "They are all waiting for you." She tossed her semi smile at me, which for the past few days she has been doing.

The allies have come to meet us, me in particular. The members of the cartel who wanted to express their condolences to the departed. I knew what their true intentions were. They wanted to pick on our scabs. The mourning hadn't calmed yet, but all they wanted was to ensure that there was a hand on their head.

Someone to protect them.

In Antonio's study, the light streaming through the window gave the room a different look. Usually darker and eerier, the place carried a different scent and look as if it knew its previous owner wasn't coming to embrace its original aura. A few minutes later, Al emerged through the door.

We all were wearing the matching color, black in the remembrance of the fallen one. He tossed his jacket towards the chair where he used to sit. Even I couldn't sit at the chair that overlooked Antonio's seating. It was too heavy to do so.

Few moments later, a row of members, known and unknown walked into the room. Many have walked in this place before but for others, this was a grand visit. Their eyes remained widened, watching the bronze works on the corners of the ottoman and the tables with carved legs. They were finally admitted to the kingdom even though their king remained absent.

Agustin stood beside me. He handed a document in my hand which I scanned and placed on the table.

"Later," I whispered to him to which he nodded.

Each member of the clan lent their hand to me. I took them gently, holding onto it as they narrated the greatness of the fallen one. Antonio was many things except a people pleaser. He would have laughed at this had he been witness to it.

After the formal meet a few members informed Agustin, their wish to meet with me in private. The Castors were one among them. Their eyes never left mine, probably scared if I'd betray them. After the last person left the room, Agustin walked me out to the meeting room.

"How are you doing?" was a mere formality from him too. None of us were doing well, we were all attempting but failing. We were unable to do even half of what Antonio was able to pull off, successfully control the members. I knew in that moment, what his worth was.

The Lion who commanded the forest.

"If there is anything you want, just let me know." Agustin patted my shoulder and walked out.

Inside the room, the members sat, whispering. Upon walking in, their hushed tones fell silent. It took a few minutes where only the sound of the ticking clock and some moving uncomfortably in their chair was heard.

Clearing his throat, Dante stood up. "We mourn the loss of the fallen and march up for those who stayed. We will stand again, in the hands of our new head," he turned to me, tossing his glass of water. "To Valentina."