Chapter 33

Luke Patterson

"Are you sure you want to do this Luke?" Alex says, placing his hand on my shoulder, stopping me from knocking on the door as I take another step forward.

"Boys, we didn't get here the right way. Our music is everything to us and if I didn't run into Laura that day, we wouldn't be getting signed right now. When we first started the band, we said we would put one hundred percent into everything we did. If we are going to do this, we need to do what's right, with our passion, not just what's easy." I say facing them, watching them listen to me intently before nodding.

Alex takes a step back, placing his hands in his pockets as he gestures with his head for me to knock on the door.

I nod slightly, smiling at him before turning back around to knock on the door.

As the three of us wait for an answer, my eyes stick to the name plate on the door.

Mrs D Ivory
President of Ivory Records

"Come in." The voice on the other side of the door snaps me out of my gaze. I push down on the door handle, opening the door, letting Alex and Reggie inside before closing it behind me. "Luke, lovely to see you again."

I step forward, placing my hand in hers as she stands up from her seat behind her desk.

"This must be the rest of Sunset Curve?" I nod quickly, taking a step back as I gently push Alex and Reggie towards her.

"This is Alex and Reggie." I stay back as the two boys both shake her hand, introducing themselves individually.

"Well boys, take a seat." She says, gesturing to the chairs on the opposite side of her desk. "Good to finally meet the other band members."

"Thank you for agreeing to meet with us at such late notice Mrs Ivory."

"Of course Luke, but just call me Diana." She says flashing a friendly smile, making me smile back. "Now what can I do for you, I wasn't expecting to see you three until next week."

"Yes, that's actually what we wanted to talk to you about." I say slowly, watching as she nods in response before leaning forward slightly. "We are extremely grateful for the opportunity you have given our band to be part of your record label, but we aren't going to be signing the contract."

Her eyes widen in shock at the words that just left my mouth, showing that those words were the last thing she expected me to say.

"Oh, I wasn't expecting that." She says furrowing her eyebrows before speaking again. "What made you change your minds?"

"I just have to say again, that the three of us appreciate it so much, but we just took the wrong way to get here and that's not something we want to do. We want to earn it ourselves." As soon as I finish speaking, she leans back into her seat, sighing softly.

"Luke, I must admit, at first, the only reason I offered you the contract was because my daughter was very adamant on being with you and she asked me to sign you boys," She pauses, breathing slowly as the words register in my mind, "but after watching you three play together, anyone can see this undeniable talent and I'd be honored to have such talent on my label."

I can't help but feel confused at the idea of being signed just because Laura wanted to be with me.

The only reason we were getting signed to a big record label is because Laura made her mom offer to sign us.

"Your talent deserves to be shared." She continues speaking, yet the thoughts of Laura run through my mind. Alex nudges my side softly, snapping me out of my thoughts and I turn my head to see the sympathetic look in his eyes.

"Really, Thank you Diana, but we're gonna do this the right way."

"Are you boys sure?" The three of us nod simultaneously, making her sigh and nod in understanding. She stands up after us, shaking each of our hands before stopping at me. "I wish you three the best."

Alex, Reggie and I all step out her office, making our way downstairs towards the car.

"Luke?" I stop in my tracks in the middle of the parking lot, turning to see Laura walking towards me.

"Um hey?" I see Alex and Reggie take a step back, leaning against the car but not leaving me alone with her.

"Where've you been Luke?" I furrow my eyebrows as I watch her stop right in front of me.

"What do you mean Laura?"

"You haven't called me or anything in over a week!" I sigh softly, shaking my head before speaking.

"Laura, we ended whatever it was between us."

"I didn't think you were being serious?!" She raises her voice again and I can't help but step back slightly. "The only reason your stupid little band is even being signed is because of me."

I stand there in shock, not knowing what to say at the switch in her.

"Lau-"

"No, don't you get it, If it wasn't for me, Ivory records would never have even looked your way." I stand still as she walks closer to me, leaning forward until she was speaking into my ear. "You could have me, you could finally have a chance to be accepted for who you are and could have been signed to Ivory records..."

Reginald Peters

"Should we say something?" I whisper to Alex as the two of us stand against the car. He stays still for a moment before nodding slightly.

"We aren't signing to your moms record label, you don't need to hang that over his head." Alex speaks up, making sure Laura heard him. I watch as her gaze flickers over Alex, scoffing before looking back at Luke.

"You're making a mistake Luke, no one else is going to sign you, it's pathetic actually, this was the only way you were ever going to be someone. I don't even know why I bothered with someone like you in the first place, you're weren't worth it."

As soon as the words left her lips, I knew they would affect Luke more than he was going to admit.

He's always been so afraid of people leaving him and people not wanting to be around him because of who he is especially after everything that happened with his parents.

As Laura turns to walk inside the Ivory records building, Luke remains in the same spot, not moving as Alex and I share worried glances.

"Don't listen to her Luke, she's just saying that."