Chapter 36

Tanna Carson

"Okay so the boys and I have been writing quite a bit." The crowd screams in response as Luke speaks into the microphone while slowly strumming his guitar in the background. "So we've decided that we're gonna give you one more new song tonight!"

My eyes don't leave Luke's figure that was on my phone as I sit in the middle of my bed at 5 am watching their gig, just like I told Alex I would.

My eyes remain fixed on Luke,  watching him turn around as he stops strumming his guitar before turning to gaze at Alex and Reggie who both nod at him excitedly, trying to reassure him.

My eyebrows furrow involuntarily at the interaction, knowing that it wasn't anything like Luke to be nervous to play a new song in front of a crowd, besides that time at the Orpheum.

I don't know if anyone else in the crowd picked up on Alex mouthing 'you got this' to Luke but I couldn't help but smile at the sight of the three of them supporting each other again.

"This song is called Opinion Overload, we hope you enjoy it." Luke turns back to face the crowd with a confident smirk across his face and I can't help the butterflies that fill my stomach even if he wasn't looking at me.

The boys start playing the beat to the new song, building up the chords as the crowd's screaming grows in excitement.

I can't help but follow his every movement as Luke dances around a bit to the beat of the introduction before stepping forward confidently and singing directly into the mic.

"So you think you got me figured out
Why don't you go ahead and tell me what I'm all about?
You know I'm dying to hear it

I'm getting sick of all the sticks and stones you throw
Now it feels like it's opinion overload
I can take it but I'd rather leave it"

I try to pay attention to the lyrics, but all I seem to be able to focus on is Luke's voice as well as him constantly bouncing back and forth onto one leg while singing into the mic.

"Get out of my face
Quit bringing me down
I don't care what you say
So what part of that don't you understand?"

As Reggie sings the next few lines, I see Luke look at him with a smirk across his face. Luke gestures with his head for Reggie to come to him and as soon as Reggie finishes his lines, he runs over to Luke's mic in time for the chorus.

"Hey!
I'm doing things exactly like I want to
What part of that don't you understand?
Hey!
And I don't give a damn if you don't approve
What part of that don't you understand?
Hey!"

After singing the chorus together, Luke playfully pushes Reggie away, back to his mic before singing the next verse.

"You're so tough throwing punches with your words
You think you're clever, let me tell you that you're not the first
Say something I haven't heard yet
Disrespectful, always quick to judge
I kind of wonder if you're doing it just because
It must be nice being perfect"

The next few lines are a repeat of Reggie's lines and I can't help the smile that crosses my face watching as he literally bounces up and down on the spot while singing.

My eyes wander back onto Luke when the three boys sing together throughout the chorus until both Luke and Reggie turn to face Alex as he sings while playing the drums.

"I won't apologize
For what I feel inside
I won't be pushed around
I won't be backing down
Not doing what you say
I'll never change my ways
Get out of my face"

After all these years, I don't even think I'll ever be able to get over how beautiful Alex's voice is.

He is so incredibly talented but because of his anxiety, he usually prefers not to sing as much by himself so I can't help but feel excited for him that he's getting more confident in himself.

As Luke plays his guitar facing Alex, my eyes notice something as they gaze over his waist.

My eyes widen slightly and my heart tightens at the sight of my ribbon that I gave to him at the Orpheum, hanging from where it's tied to his jeans.

"(Not doing what you say, I'll never change my ways)
What part of that don't you understand?"

I sit frozen in my spot, not knowing what to think about him using the ribbon now as the boys finish the song together with the audience cheering loudly.

"Thank you everybody!" Luke shouts into his mic as Alex and Reggie walk up to him as the three of them bow.

"We're sunset curve." Alex says waving his drumsticks in the air before Reggie echos his famous line in response.

"Tell your friends."

The three boys run off stage energetically, leaving the crowd chattering loudly from the thrill of the performance, yet I can't seem to take my gaze off the screen until the Live Video Ended notification pops up, snapping me out of my gaze.

I knew I had to support Alex and I always will no matter what, but because of that one concert, Luke is right back in my mind where I've tried to remove him from, but is it actually so bad that he's there again?

I can't help but groan, running my hands over my face in frustration before falling back onto the pillows at the top of my bed.

I breath in deeply, letting my mind wonder through what feels like a million more thoughts and emotions before sighing.

It could have just been a coincidence with the ribbon right? Maybe he doesn't remember that it was mine. Oh who am I kidding, I don't even know anything at this point.