Chapter 48

Tanna Carson

My fingers graze lightly over the corner of the paper, waiting until I finish reading the rest of the words before turning the page.

I sat with my body against Luke, my head resting against his shoulder, looking down at the book as he lay against the headboard of my bed.

I hear the slightest clicking sound now and then as he scrolls through my camera, taking me up on that offer we had made the night we really first got to know each other.

I turn my head discretely to look at him, admiring the way he was so intensely focused on the camera in front of him.

Leaning closer to his face, I gently place my lips against his cheek, keeping them there for a few seconds before pulling away.

He turns to look at me, with a smile across his lips and he leans down, connecting our lips gently.

He pulls back too soon and I pout up at him, huffing lightly. My smile widens, breaking through the pout at the sound of his laughter.

He shakes his head in amusement before focusing his attention back onto the camera.

I can see the fascination in his eyes, so instead of disturbing him, I turn my head away, looking back down at the book in my hands.

I finally turn the page, my eyes landing on the title, making my eyebrows furrow inwards. I lift my hand, gently running my fingers over the title of the song, feeling the indentation of the paper.

*   *   *   *   *  *   *   *    *   * *

Problem Child

I drag my hand down the page, feeling each letter engraved into the paper harshly.

Luke's handwriting wasn't the neatest, but the emotion of this song was clear to anyone, no matter what.

"Here we are again, wake at 5 am
I didn't mean a word I said
Can we just pretend? I can take it back
Change the way the story ends
I remember when things were simple then
It didn't always hurt this way
I would fall asleep, you would carry me
You would take my fears away

Am I messed up?
Forever flawed
Beyond repair
But forever yours

All my life
All I ever did was try and try
I never meant to be your problem child
Your problem child, yeah

I don't know why
I always find the way to make you cry
I never meant to be your problem child
Your problem child, yeah"

My eyes read over each lyric while my mind runs wild, stopping on the conversation I had with Luke when he briefly mentioned his parents not accepting him.

"When you look at me, I wonder if you see
All the things you thought I could be
Or all the crazy nights, all the stupid fights
All the tears that filled our eyes"

I feel my heart tighten at the thought of his words running through my head.

Even my parents don't accept me.